Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pcv system in the car w/oil separator and a -6an fitting w/breather on each valve cover, and I'm lifting the dipstick. If I run a vac line from the valve cover to the location on the tb, will that allow oil mist to get into the intake? not sure if I need a separator for that also. and should I cap off the breathers on the valve covers when I do that, seems the right thing to do. or can I leave the driver side breather alone? I'm only pushing bout 6lbs of boost for now, pulley change when I find out what it makes on the dyno later.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It is not going to get much in there because it will be next to a breather. Unless the breather is severely clogged, or when you take the oil cap off smoke blows out, then it shouldn't get much in there I believe.

With vented valve covers, I don't see how you are building enough crankcase pressure to lift the dipstick.

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
Put a gauge on the fresh air tube, measure the crankcase pressure

Breathers on the valve covers will only allow for an oily mess

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-6 lines seem small. I would want no less than -10. What power adder are you using.
It's been a while since I thought about the fittings on the valve covers. I did put -10 bungs on them, Just went out and checked. Running a T-trim on it currently.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not going to get much in there because it will be next to a breather. Unless the breather is severely clogged, or when you take the oil cap off smoke blows out, then it shouldn't get much in there I believe.

With vented valve covers, I don't see how you are building enough crankcase pressure to lift the dipstick.
I don't get it either, I just noticed it happened last time I had it out for a blast. being a stroked 347 wouldn't happen to have an affect on crank case pressure, would it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a gauge on the fresh air tube, measure the crankcase pressure

Breathers on the valve covers will only allow for an oily mess
fresh air tube? I have breather tanks I wanted to put on, engine bay got a little cramped so I put little breathers on the valve covers until I can figure out where I'm gonna put them... or just one.

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
fresh air tube? I have breather tanks I wanted to put on, engine bay got a little cramped so I put little breathers on the valve covers until I can figure out where I'm gonna put them... or just one.
breather tanks?

you are running a PCV and breather tanks?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
To be fair, he was asking if hooking the throttle body to the valve cover could help. That obviously is a bad idea since the line will be sending 6 psi of boost to the crankcase.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had a breather with a baffled valve cover and PCV and had zero oily mess, no issues for 10+ years. What good does a gauge suggestion do unless he's given a reading to look for?

I had no issues with breathers but I'll go back to some check valves to the intake in the near future. I was blowing out the dip stick as well (10-12 PSI) but it was just a nuisance, found a way to keep it from popping out.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I had about a 1" line hooked from the valve cover to the powerpipe. I didn't have a any problems with oil or crankcase pressure. I had zero oil on the supercharger when I took it off after 40k miles or so after putting the line on there. My valve cover had baffles though.

and it did fix rear main seal leak I had with 14 psi.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had the same but a much smaller line from the valve cover (baffled) to the power pipe. I think without this line I would've had issues. When I put mine back together it will be much larger, 10-12 AN or even 1" like yours.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
my shiz looked raggedy, but it was a quick fix, and at the time I needed it.

The one downfall of doing it that way is when the throttle body shuts, the oil smell from the valve cover can creep out of the air filter. With a 3.12 pulley, I never did smell it. With a 2.85 pulley, it was there at idle sometimes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same but a much smaller line from the valve cover (baffled) to the power pipe. I think without this line I would've had issues. When I put mine back together it will be much larger, 10-12 AN or even 1" like yours.
I had about a 1" line hooked from the valve cover to the powerpipe. I didn't have a any problems with oil or crankcase pressure. I had zero oil on the supercharger when I took it off after 40k miles or so after putting the line on there. My valve cover had baffles though.

and it did fix rear main seal leak I had with 14 psi.
When I had the -10 bungs welded to the valve covers, the guy put baffles under them. did you guys delete the pcv with that line to the power pipe? Any need to run both valve covers to the power pipe or can I cap one off?

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
I had a breather with a baffled valve cover and PCV and had zero oily mess, no issues for 10+ years. What good does a gauge suggestion do unless he's given a reading to look for?

I had no issues with breathers but I'll go back to some check valves to the intake in the near future. I was blowing out the dip stick as well (10-12 PSI) but it was just a nuisance, found a way to keep it from popping out.
how much pressure does it take to lift out the dipstick?

why is there an air filter at the end of the breather? to filter oil out from the crankcase?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts