Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the factory gauge cluster from my '91 mustang GT and now it seems that my alternator is not charging the battery. Also there is a constant beeping coming from the dash board. Does anyone have any similiar issues and suggestions on how to take care of this issue?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Tbere is a circuit , what works tbru the instrument cluster , that excites a signal to the alternator , thus making it charge .
You are going to have to replicate this , without your cluster .

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
correct

the bulb in the cluster, is required

therefore you must put a load in your setup

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Were you able to resolve this? I am having similar issues.

Factory load is the bulb AND 510ohm resistor in parallel going to the alternator. I am going to measure the bulb resistance tonight.

Then use formula:

1/Resistane total = 1/510. + 1/ bulb resistance

This should help determine the correct load required. .... I Think! I am no electrical engineer.....

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
On the other hand a guy on stang net just wires in a 560 ohm 1 watt resistor and it works great.

Confused!

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Thanks, yeah I first searched there. They didn't describe what resistor needed to be placed in line with the wire jumping, only that the had a 'jumper' for the job.

I ended up wiring my own harness up in the engine compartment anyway. Bypassing the factory lines. A 560 ohm resistor was WAY too much and didn't allow 'exitation' of the diodes in the alternator. I took it out and I get 14.7 volts, which seems a tad high.

The equation 1/R total = 1/3 ohms bulb + 1/510 ohms for the factory dash would suggest a 2.98 ohm resistor in my wiring would be best. I am going to add a 3.3ohm 1W resistor and see if that drops my alternator down to 14.5 volts or so.

(This shared for future guys trying to make their installs work)

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
Have you read how the reg works?

The bulb and resistor are powered by the ign switch

The only way the bulb is going light is if there is a ground

Now consider the bulb is always getting power but when all is working the bulb is not lit

There is a switch in the reg!!

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I read the diagram from TMOSS but don't understand how the circuit of the regulator works.

I skipped the factory wiring and wires it myself. It works fine with a 3ohm or 510ohm or no resistor.

My output voltage is 14.7 volts regardless of what I do to the exciter wire unless I give it no voltage of course.

I skipped the bulb totally as there is no bulb to light up on the Dakota Digital dash assembly.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I think the reason the 510ohm resistor didn't work was that my alternator connectors had an intermittent connection. Not sure but I replaced them with new and now as I mentioned ANY resistance between 510 and zero seems to work....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts