Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am done with the electrical on the n20, I am going to entertain gears.

The hold back? Well, with gas the way it is and my 20-22 mpg on the hwy, I am not looking forward to revving higher on the hwy and spending more gas :barf:.

Anyway, I know what the "cost is, more gas consumption.... What is the gain? Has anyone come up with a #, as in how much improvement in the 1/4 mile, a tenth, 2 tenth, more?

I had 3.73 in my 93 LX, but that was when gas was under $3 :( ....and I didn't run it on the track, just on the street. I remember it pulled very strong ...

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
What gear do you have? What gear are you considering?
Where does your car make power? What are you trapping now?

Steve

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to update my sig, it doesn't list alllllll the mods I have ... stock :)

Stock engine. I have a 75 shot of N20, which as I get comfortable and dial in the car, I hope to bump up to 100 and ultimately to 150....

So hp? stock

Gears? What comes from the factory. I am not sure if in '04 they all came with one gear or there was an option. If so, how do I find out what gear I have?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
just for reference,when my '94 was running 13.5's on stock tires .i replaced the 3.08's with 4.10's and rebuilt my posi at the same time and the 1st night out went 13.00. not sure how much of that was gear and how much was the posi.like i said,just for reference.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Gains will vary from one car to the next. On my stock motored stock AOD 91LX with only a complete exhaust upgrade I went from running 14.7-14.9's to 14.2-14.5's.
I went from 2:73's to 4:10's.
A more experienced racer may have been able to get more out of the car. This change came during my first ever attempts at drag racing. The exhaust was the only other mod. I left off the idle and let the AOD shift itself.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so about 1/2 sec seems to be reasonable....

What gears did the 04 5 spd come with?

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so about 1/2 sec seems to be reasonable....

What gears did the 04 5 spd come with?

·
Registered
634 Posts
3.27's in '04.............a 1/2 second gain is optimistic with radials especially with the juice.......with a D/R or bias-ply that seems within reach and it also depends what gear you're considering........

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3.27's in '04.............a 1/2 second gain is optimistic with radials especially with the juice.......with a D/R or bias-ply that seems within reach and it also depends what gear you're considering........
Sht, so to make a differnece I am going to have to go with 3.73 or 4.11 (gas $$$$$ :bs:). In my last 5.0 I think I had 3.73. I am fearful of the 4.11's and loosing it on the highway... plus gas mileage, rpm's at hwy speeds must go up 500 rpms or so...

Definitely, looking at slicks if I increase gears, since I am spraying.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can you run a taller tire on the street to undo some of the lower gear rpm increase?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sht, so to make a differnece I am going to have to go with 3.73 or 4.11QUOTE]

4.11 is a 'brand x' gear, you want 4.10s.

Earlier in the year I changed from 3.55's to 4.10's and ditched my stock converter for a 3000 stall, and on a stockish motor went from 9.4 to 8.7 in the 1/8th. Like a totally different car. Gained over 4 tenths in my 60'.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I picked up .3 in the 1/4 going from stock 3.08 to 3.73. Gas milage did not change but I do mixed driving, city and highway. I'm sure I lost some mpg on the highway but you'll actually pick some up in the city.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Assuming you switch from 3.27's to 3.73's, I think a true rough estimate from a gear change could help you out about .2 - .3 in the quarter mile and nothing else. Overall, that's pretty good because that feels like a 20-30hp pull! You'll definitely feel the revs climb up quicker and the car will go!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a 02 gt went with 3.73 and ran a 8.09 at 89mph in 1/8. swapped in 4.10s and went 7.85 at 89mph. spinning picked up with the 4.10s out of the hole. i beleave it will go a .50 with the new tires i have now. and with 275/60/15 i am getting around 22-23 mpg on highway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts