Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gear set would you go with for a 100% street car that weighs 3100 with a 408w 500ph and 500 tq going no higher than 6100rpms? I would like sub 4 second 0-60.

G Force trans first gear? 2.94 or 2.42?
Rear end gear? 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73?

I currently have 3.73 installed but think that will be too much for my new 408 going in. I think with all that torque I could get to 60 in first gear and meet my goal of sub 4 seconds. What do you think?

thx

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't have a merit based opinion of your gear selection, but if you are reasonably good at math and MS excel, you could create a spreadsheet to calculate mph @ X rpm or rpm @ X mph. Heck, one may be available via google search. So if you have a hard goal of say 62 mph @ 6100 rpm, you can compare your first gear options relative to you rearend gear options. If you made the spreadsheet for all gears, you might even find that there are comprimises to be made for other gears, for example, highway rpms or rpm/gear limits relative to your expected 1/4 mile trap speed.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
taking your advice I found the following link and combo I think will work best for me..

RPM/MPH From Gear Ratio Calculator by Wallace Racing

2.42 1st gear (will get me to 60 @ 6,000 rpms)
.59 5th gear (80 mph @ 2,000 rpms)
all using a 3.27 rear gear and a 26.66 tall rear tire.

best of both worlds!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick - I never understood the purpose of building a car if it's not drivable on a regular basis? if I'm paying all that cash, I want to get my monies worth.

·
Registered
351 Posts
100% street car to me reads that it's not going to be autocrossed or raced on a road course, ie wrong forum......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts