Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my foxbody stang see the street every weekend it's nice, and sees it more then the strip right now it runs 10.7 @123 i forget the exact rpm it's traping at but it's in the 6600+ range it's a 410windsor n/a with a c4 an trans breaked c4 setup, i was thinking about droping it down to 3.27 gear or 3.55 to help drop the cruising rpm down beacuse 55mph is 3300rpm and all of the roads around me are 55, if theres no cars behind me i drive 45 to just keep the rpm down on the motor any how i was wonder if anyone had an idea on how much slower i will be in the 1/4 do to it, right now it's a 410windsor, afr 225 trick flow r intake, [email protected] .50 cam with 600 lift, 10-1 comp, suspion wise it's 50/50 rear with qa1 tublar front at the time 90/10s coil overs, but i just swaped to strange, and the 10.7 was with mt dr 275-45-17
i'm plan on puting my supercharger on this winter as long as i can aford the new fuel system so i'll have to gear down some anyways for it. for that.
also you ever try to drive down the highway going 45-50mph :rofl:

thanks all

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I just took out the 4.10 in my 408 car, could not make it to the finish line with 26" tires. Best with the 4.10's was a 11 oh shutting off at 1000' Put in 3.55's and have been a best of 11.1, but not 60' yet. Converter is way to tight, but I like the 3.55's with the small tire.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If it runs cool, and you have good oil pressure, RPM isn't hurting anything. I can't imagine a high 10 sec car has that much of a cam in it, I would think you'd be fine.

It gear conversion will kill your 60', and really load the car from trying to accelerate especially if you keep the converter.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
60ft times now are high 1.6s

i was plaing to get a turbo set up so i could put the 3.27s as i bought a set of em used to help spool the turbo, i was planing on later
but i got a good deal on a used ysi, that link is not working, my street tires are 315/35/17 mt dr, 25.7 inchs
also right now it has a 3800 stall that was bulit to the motor spec
yah the motor runs cool and oil pressure is fine, the onlything that gets hot is the trans be high load

·
Registered
478 Posts
Over the winter I switched from a 3.73 to a 3.27. Everyone said that the car would slow down. They where wrong.
1 month before I put the car away it went 10.11 @ 137. Right off the trailer with the 3.27. 9.93 @ 141.4. No other changes, same tires, same tune.
The engine in the car has never liked RPM, so I decided to slow it down some. Car loves the gear and I am not spinning the piss out of it. Went fom 7200 to 6400 going through the traps. 60 foot did not change.
2200 rpm @65 mph with an AOD non lock up 3500 stall.

Good Luck
Eric

·
Registered
451 Posts
Over the winter I switched from a 3.73 to a 3.27. Everyone said that the car would slow down. They where wrong.
1 month before I put the car away it went 10.11 @ 137. Right off the trailer with the 3.27. 9.93 @ 141.4. No other changes, same tires, same tune.
The engine in the car has never liked RPM, so I decided to slow it down some. Car loves the gear and I am not spinning the piss out of it. Went fom 7200 to 6400 going through the traps. 60 foot did not change.
2200 rpm @65 mph with an AOD non lock up 3500 stall.

Good Luck
Eric
That because you have a BLOWN CAR he has a N/A car of coruse your car will run faster with a down grade in gear ratio, power adder cars lover low gears.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you not see i said i'll be installing a vortech rengeade ysi setup this winter the only reason i have not installed it yet is beacuse i don't have the cash for the a new fuel system yet

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What kind of trap speeds are you expecting with the new setup you'll be running? With most cars you'll launch better with a steeper gear but a taller rear tire than you would if you run a really tall gear and shorter tire that gives you the same overall drive ratio.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would just put a 28in tire on it for now. When you get the blower on run the 1/8 mile to calcutate your 1/4 mi number and then change the gear. It only take a few hours.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
You could always go with a built AODE or 4r70w setup and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't know much about automatics, but 3300 rpm @ 55 mph sounds wrong. Is that due to convertor slip? I run 4.10's in my vert with 26in tire and in 4th gear I am only taching 2900 @ 55mph.

My trap speed is almost 135 @ 7000 rpm.

I would vote for a larger tire instead of gear change

Brian

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
60ft times now are high 1.6s

i was plaing to get a turbo set up so i could put the 3.27s as i bought a set of em used to help spool the turbo, i was planing on later
but i got a good deal on a used ysi, that link is not working, my street tires are 315/35/17 mt dr, 25.7 inchs
also right now it has a 3800 stall that was bulit to the motor spec
yah the motor runs cool and oil pressure is fine, the onlything that gets hot is the trans be high load
You need to find a new converter guy if he built that thing for the 410 you have. It needs to be 1500 rpm looser but 2000 would be even better.

I run mine 3200 down the highway and the trans never gets over 170 stack coolers on the radiator till it stays cool

Tim

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it was lupos tranny and convortor, once it gets around 3900 rpm the car isanley jumps speed to rpm ratio, lupo must know what he's doing as his empoye brains car turns 8.5s in the efi rengeaded class and many of the rengade cars are runing his trans, and i was told my tranny is the same as theres by lupo
theres no more room left on my raditor for tranny coolers as i have 2 of the largest b&m supercoolers on them. i was thinking about taping the tranny pan and ruing an inline pump to a rear mount perma cool setup i have with a fan as i have a the perma cool setup laying around

i'm not going to run 28inch tall tires, as i had some on a set of draglights i bought and they didn't make much diffrence in rpm, i put a set of slicks on there but have not been able to go to the track. yet
as for the trans runing hot i just thought about this, i bought the tranny used, and then order his convetter from him, i had just one cooler, and not a temp gauge, overheated it and trashed all of the clutchs, took it to the local race trans shop that i had nothing but problems with after they rebulit it and i installed the temp gauge, saw how quick it got hot, and put another cooler on it, maybe the reason it gets so hot is beacuse local tranny shop didn't bulid it right, lupo has my trans now and i should be getting it sometime this week aprentaly the put all stock parts as in clutches drums etc in there and they claim to be a race tranny shop so maybe when i get it back it will not run as hot.
the rate it's going i'll just wait untill spring with the supercharger

i would love to have a bulit aod but high horespowers ones are insanley priced compard to a bulit c4 if i wouldn't had gotten a great deal on it, i would be runing a bulit 5 speed, now i'm hooked to the transbreak never wanna go back

like i said i'm just going to wait now ohio's summer is almost over i'm plan for 700 hp with a little meth on the street

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
If you had a converter like mine that thing would go .3-.4 faster. It is not even to peak torque. Great for a power adder but a waist on a NA combo. With my converter the motor is in the rpm where it makes the most power. I don't want to wait for the motor to pull the car up thru the power the converter does a better job of that.

Tim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts