Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88gt with a 5-speed and a basically stock motor. I currently have 3.08 gears, but I want to switch. I "think" I want to go with 3.55's but I may consider 3.73's. The car is driven on the highway a fair amount but I intend to do some auto-x as well as some HPDE driving. What gear ratio would work best for an "average" auto-x course? For anyone who has swapped from 3.08 to 3.55, was it "enough" of an improvement, or did you wish you went taller. Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Get the gears. My 3.55s were one of my best mods. I liked them when I was near stock and when I got heads, cam, and intake. I think they would be ok if I put a supercharger on the motor. I am going to 3.27s and a Tru-Trac (or Torsen) once I get my turbo installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys, please keep them coming! I actually do have a plan. So far the engine has limited bolt on mods. Down the road I plan to do H/C/I, with the goal being around 300rwh. So far I have done a fair amount of suspension work. Now I'm getting ready to do a rear disc conversion(with fronts coming later), so with the axles coming out I figure that now is the time to change my gears; I just have to decide on a ratio. So far it sounds like going with 3.55's is the best compromise for street/highway driving, while 3.73 might be a little tall for an auto-x course. Any other opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had 3.08's and went 3.55's and love it. I'm doing everything you said you do with the 3.55's and still keep low RPM's. 3.73 are to much on the freeway and on the track you well your limiter.
My vote is 3.55

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I had stock 2.97's at first. Changed them too 3.73's and didn't like the power band once I started doing the H/C/I and exhaust. Went too 3.55's and loved it. This was all done with a stock 87 T-5 tranny.
Tried to use the 3.55's in my Viper tranny, but first gear is way to steep. Had to go with 4.10's and love it now.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I went with 3.55's back in 91, I wish I went with 3.27's with my 5spd. On long straights like TWS I run out of gear in 4th. I either have to stay at red line or bog in 5th. Now if I had a .8 5th gear, 3.55 might be better. Also it seems to me that with 3.55's I am either to low a gear or to high a gear. YRMV.

Bud

·
Registered
199 Posts
Having had 3.55s, driven a friend's with 3.73s, and owned a car with 4.11s, I like the 3.55s best in a relatively stock 5.0 seeing lots of street miles.

IMO, best mod you'll make BTW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts