Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
123 Posts
I'm by no means an expert. Your drive side looks pretty well centered which my understanding is the most important. The coast side is towards the toe. Is the backlash within .008 to .012? If it is you're probably good to go. I bought the sa design ford diff rebuild book, but most of the good info is on this site. DIY Ford - Ford Axle Ring and Pinion Assembly How to Guide

Here is my recent gear pattern post with others commenting. It's similar to yours but the coast is towards the heel. I haven't run it yet as I'm still working on the rest of the car.

Gear pattern check

·
Registered
411 Posts
Make sure you're applying similar load when you rotate the pinion both ways. Otherwise, you have to play with pinion shims to get that more centered on both sides. You have some room still, as it's better to have the pattern closer to the carrier than on the OD for the drive side. If the coast side is off center still, that's less critical, but shifting the drive side a hair more towards the carrier will shift the coast side to the center more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts