Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard by now of the $1,000 surcharge on the '03 Cobra for a gas guzzler tax. Just curious here: what makes the gas guzzler tax click in? Just wondering how low the MPG has to get (and with a 6-speed tranny, no less) before the tax applies. Any body know? Is the c5 or Z06 subject to the tax? What about the Viper? I personally have never seen a car subject to the tax, except for the 7 series Bimmer. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't noticed. (Not that I really get all excited over MPG anyhow.)
Later,
CW

BTW, my '97 Cobra vert, with 4.10 gears, recently got 25.9 highway mpg on a poker run.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I paid no gas guzzler tax on the Z. I did pay a luxury tax (something like 3% for every dollar over $40K), but no guzzler tax.

Of course, the Chevy's get ridiculed for the 1-4 skip shift, but apparantly that was enough to keep it away from that tax.

·
Registered
866 Posts
JB VOBRA said:
Of course, the Chevy's get ridiculed for the 1-4 skip shift, but apparantly that was enough to keep it away from that tax.
Ford could put really tall gears on the '03 Cobra, like 2.73s or something like that, to avoid the gas guzzler tax. They might get ridiculued for it, but the gear swap is cheaper than the gas guzzler tax! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is no gas guzzler tax on the Vettes. GM doesn't believe in producing a car that would subject it to a guzzler tax.

You'd think with a 6 speed that you'd get away with it with but with the GM, it's not the 6 speed that avoided the tax on the Vettes... it's the !CAGS that made the difference. The !CAGS is nothing to brag about but, for me, not much of an issue that I needed to get a bypass.

Don

CWCobra said:
We've all heard by now of the $1,000 surcharge on the '03 Cobra for a gas guzzler tax. Just curious here: what makes the gas guzzler tax click in? Just wondering how low the MPG has to get (and with a 6-speed tranny, no less) before the tax applies. Any body know? Is the c5 or Z06 subject to the tax? What about the Viper? I personally have never seen a car subject to the tax, except for the 7 series Bimmer. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't noticed. (Not that I really get all excited over MPG anyhow.)
Later,
CW

BTW, my '97 Cobra vert, with 4.10 gears, recently got 25.9 highway mpg on a poker run.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Michael Clements said:

Ford could put really tall gears on the '03 Cobra, like 2.73s or something like that, to avoid the gas guzzler tax. They might get ridiculued for it, but the gear swap is cheaper than the gas guzzler tax! :rolleyes:
OR

they could have implemented a skip shift (which can be eliminated with a .50 cent resistor from radio shack)

:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
What a F****** joke. Like we all don't pay enough in taxes when we buy gas. Maybe the government should pay us for buying American and not some import.

LOL What I'd like to see is an Ugly Tax. "You want to buy an ugly car? That'll be $1,000 extra please."

:p

·
Registered
141 Posts

CTCobra, I as well as others agree with you 100%. They should give us a huge tax break for buying American cars.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd vote for a rice tax. "Sorry son, that car is rice. It'll be an extra $2000 to pass inspection this year."

·
Registered
556 Posts
Like we all don't pay enough in taxes when we buy gas. Maybe the government should pay us for buying American and not some import.

- amen -

Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
This gripe was posted on another bb, but I don't remember where:

If the $1000 gas guzzler tax is part of MSRP, does that mean we have to pay sales tax on the guzzler tax?

That's an additional 65 bones out of my pocket. I don't know how I feel about being taxed three times on the same dollar. Actually, I do know how I feel, and I'm sure you all feel the same way!

I could be wrong, perhaps the dealer calculates sales tax a subtotal of MSRP, any ideas?

·
Registered
238 Posts
SonicBlue03 said:
This gripe was posted on another bb, but I don't remember where:

If the $1000 gas guzzler tax is part of MSRP, does that mean we have to pay sales tax on the guzzler tax?

That's an additional 65 bones out of my pocket. I don't know how I feel about being taxed three times on the same dollar. Actually, I do know how I feel, and I'm sure you all feel the same way!

I could be wrong, perhaps the dealer calculates sales tax a subtotal of MSRP, any ideas?
I can't imagine that being the case. The gas tax will be seperate from the final taxable sale price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The argument for getting a tax break for buying American is absurd. Let's say you bu

The argument for getting a tax break for buying American is absurd. Let's say you buy a Camaro or Firebird, American cars. They are built in Canada. Are they therefore Canadian cars? Should we avoid buying them because of that (ignoring for the moment that this is a Mustang bboard)? How about BMW or Mercedes? If you buy the models that are built in their American plants (ie. Alabama I believe), should they be considered American? Is buing Volvo considered buying American now that Ford owns them? Besides, cars nowadays have parts inside that come from all parts of the world. And I'd bet my bottom dollar that Ford or any other American company would choose a foriegn supplier over a domestic supplier in a heartbeat if they could get the same thing cheaper. So why should we do differently? And why else would we need tariffs to "protect" our steel industry if they were actually competitive? If you buy a product that you would not have bought otherwise, but you did because it is supposedly "American", then you are just encouraging ineffeciency that in the long run will do more harm than good to American industry which will in turn lead to higher taxes when the government has to bail out the American industry in question. Buy a car because of its features, affordability, looks, etc. because trying to buy a car of a specific nationality is futile and often counterproductive.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still yet...does anybody actually KNOW what makes the gas guzzler tax apply? Is it any below 15MPG? Or is it any below 12 MPG? Or maybe 10 MPG? I'm just trying to figure out what the mileage ratings are for the '03 Cobra. And Ford is not saying. Obviously the Feds know what the mileage ratings are, since they have levied the tax. Wonder if Ford is keeping silent for fear of dampening the enthusiasm for the '03? I can't believe that there would be THAT much of a degradation in MPG just by adding the blower! My '97 DOHC gets 25+ MPG on the highway, with 4.10 gears. Would adding a blower cut mine from 25 to 11 MPG for cryin' out loud? I think not! Of course adding another 400-500 pounds to the curb weight certainly wouldn't help mileage any!
Later,
CW

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, I am posting on the corral again..It has almost been a year. That is exactly what happens with the gas guzzler tax. My M3 with only 3.2Litres and normally aspirated was also nailed with a gas guzzler tax of $1,000.00. It has a rating of 16/24mpg, which is very generous on the city side of that rating. My actual mileage is around 13-14mpg in the city. Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gas Guzzler Tax

According to the following link, any car with below 22.5 mpg will have a gas guzzler tax imposed on its sale (with 55% weight on urban and 45% on highway driving) as I understand it.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/4064.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dave98Cobra said:
Wow, I am posting on the corral again..It has almost been a year. That is exactly what happens with the gas guzzler tax. My M3 with only 3.2Litres and normally aspirated was also nailed with a gas guzzler tax of $1,000.00. It has a rating of 16/24mpg, which is very generous on the city side of that rating. My actual mileage is around 13-14mpg in the city. Dave

That's a nice color on that M3.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Doodlewalker-

There is a thing called minimum wage here in the USA. Sure any company can go else where and find cheaper labor, just remember that when it's your company that decides to do it.

If that link is correct in saying 22.5 mpg is the "bar," then just about every sport utility should be taxed along with many 4x4s. Does the Excursion have a gas guzzler tax? Don't tell me it gets more than 22.5. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heheh you are right, the gas guzzler tax is more complicated than it seems at first glance. There is a loophole in the gas guzzler tax, in that light duty trucks (SUV's fall under this category) are exempt from the tax. More information is available at http://www.foe.org but I don't know if they are the most objective source.

CTCOBRAGUY - The minimum wage is a largely political tool - how else can you explain why it was $3.10 in 1981 and $5.15 in 1997? There is no way inflation averaged only 1.05% during those 16 years.

And I will remember if my company moves overseas because the minimum wage prevented them from paying me less and forced them instead to lay me off outright. I'd rather get paid something than nothing, and I don't think it would be going out on a limb that most people would feel that way as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts