Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the mods in my sig, and I'm about to install some Ford ceramic coated shorty headers. What kind of gain can I expect, and at what RPM range? Anyone with experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
3.7rwhp is the dyno results I saw.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My gains were pretty minimal too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:
Only 4hp??
I'm curious about this too (Good to see you here, StoplightWarrior). I'm swapping heads/intake, so since my engine will be out anyway... :rolleyes:

With a n/a setup, will longtubes make THAT much more of a difference over shorties? I have heard anything from "no" to +10rwhp, all the way to +20rwhp. What can be expected?

·
Registered
113 Posts
cost

WHAT THE COST TO HAVE SHORTY INSTALLED CURIOUS???

02 GT 5SPD
STEEDA PULLEYS
ON ORDER AS
MAC COLD AIR
INDUCTION

·
Registered
733 Posts
Re: cost

CKINGROUGE5 said:
WHAT THE COST TO HAVE SHORTY INSTALLED CURIOUS???

02 GT 5SPD
STEEDA PULLEYS
ON ORDER AS
MAC COLD AIR
INDUCTION
Depends on who you want shorty installed in. Anywhere from about $20 in the hood to more than about $200 in Manhattan...oh, you were talking about headers, weren't you?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rally said:

I'm curious about this too (Good to see you here, StoplightWarrior).
Yeah, same to you!

You know there is a big car show every Friday at Howie's deli in Pleasant Hill. I won't be able to make it this Friday 4/19, but I'll be out there on the 26th if you want to come out. We usually have 10-15 east bay stangers out there, as well as many camaro and old school roadsters. It's a lot of fun. I'll get in touch with you later next week if you want to cruise over to the show with a few of us. Take it easy,

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
FRPP shorties have a VERY MINIMAL effect on performance. One guy on here "slosvt" gained 13rwhp/27rwtq from JUST BBK longtube headers. He had an O/R x-pipe on the car both times it was dyno'd(before/after), so none of the results are because of the switch from one mid pipe to another.

I did plenty of research before buying my Longtubes. I was DEAD set on shorties, but after a while of looking at the cost of Shorties VS Longtubes and the Gains of each, I decided on LT's. The LT's will give anywhere from 50% to 100% more HP/TQ than the FRPP or JBA Shorty headers. The JBA's are better than the FRPP headers, but they still aren't as good as a set of LT's. With the JBA's costing $490+ and BBK LT's only costing about $560 delivered via the GP I organized, I decided the extra $70 and hassle of clutch maintenance was well worth the added power. Plus LT's will give a lot more low-end/mid range torque than shorties.

HTH.

·
Registered
113 Posts
HEY BIERBELLY

GIVE YOU A 12 PACK OF PABST BLUE RIBBON IF YOU INSTALL MY HEADERS:lol:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
To install headers with the least amount of headaches you have to take the engine out of the compartment. That might give you an idea of the labour charge.

·
Registered
998 Posts
$20-200 for install??? I wish . . . everywhere I looked was like $00-$600. Shorties aren't worth it. I got the Hooker Longtubes from SHM $653.99 coated and shipped. They don't get in the way of the clutch replacement either.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Bierbelly

Good one.

I just took my headers and Bassani's to Midas. I hope they can install the headers without taking out the engine. :confused:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oops . . . beirbelly, didn't read your post carefully enough. Sorry:eek:

·
Registered
289 Posts
FMS 1 5/8th Shorty headers with a fair # of bolt-ons.

96 cobra
Pre Dyno #'s. 289 rwhp
Post Dyno #'s w/ shorties 292rwhp

Net gain 3 rwhp.

I'm planning on BBK LT's for next year...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Re: HEY BIERBELLY

CKINGROUGE5 said:
GIVE YOU A 12 PACK OF PABST BLUE RIBBON IF YOU INSTALL MY HEADERS:lol:
Hmmmm...an enticing offer....but, no thanks. Now Black Label...?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The easiest way and sometimes the quickest way to do the install is to Pull the K-member... NOT the engine. Pulling the engine requires a lot of labeling, unplugging, unbolting, etc. Dropping the K-member just involves unbolting the steering rack, sway bar/endlinks, brakes, a-arms, springs and supporting the engine by a hoist or bolting chains to the block and wrapping them around the Strut tower brace. A hoist would be nice because you would be able to lower the engine down and get even better access to the heads.

HTH.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts