Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question, with the On3 kit with a 76mm turbo upgrade on a 302 setup, what is the biggest turbo that could be added later? Would an 88mm just bolt in it's place and work with all the existing parts?

Forgive the stupid question, still learning, lol.

·
Registered
747 Posts
as long as the flange is a T4 it will bolt to the headers but im not sure about the DP.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Damn isnt a t74 t4 good for about 800hp?

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
An 88 is a different shape then the smaller T4 based turbos.

On my B&G kit the turbo had to come forward and the downpipe very modified. Cold side comes close to lining up but may need to be modified.

...and keep in mind that there are a number of considerations besides just "does it fit". Crossover size, collector size, intercooler size etc.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
A T4 88mm would be too big for that kit to work properly. If you are ready to step up to a 88 its time for a custom kit or a kit that was made for that size turbo. It would be the same as going from a A trim to a F2r and making no changes.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
B&G has a couple of variations of 88 based kits. PTE now has three options for turbos PT88, PT88/47, and a PT88/90. The later two begin to exceed some of the other elements of a normal street kit which changes the game in terms of cost. It seems like 1000 rwhp is another magic thresh hold of painful cost.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
What heads, cam and intake? That is a nice shortblock...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AFR 185s, FTI cam, Victor Jr. intake with a Quick Fuel 750 sitting on top, daily driven, 420rwhp @ 6900.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I had a pt78 on my car and overspun it with my current 347. You should be careful with putting too small a turbo on that motor.

The 88 on my motor spools slower then the near instantaneous spool of the smaller turbo, but it actually makes it much easier to drive on the street. It doesnt burn the tires everyone you touch the gas, the slight lag is almost like a natural boost ramp.

A PT88 may not be a bad initial choice for you and the turbo itself is reasonable, the two others start to get expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts