Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my car for quite some time and getting ready to put power back to it. I was doing some double checking of some things and noticed something that I thought was odd. When I set my meter to continuity and was checking grounds I wanted to see if there was a short or anything since i had been playing with the wiring on the car. I replaced the dash harness and injector harness on the car and add autometer gauges. I noticed when I touched the starter relay post that the battery connects to and then touch ground it beep say there is a connection.

So I took off all the wires connected to the starter relay and tested to see which one went to ground. It turns out the yellow fusible link some how connects to ground. I know this is the one that runs the fuel pump and I believe the EEC VPWR but I'm not sure about that. I've never tested this before so this could be normal for some reason or maybe I made a mistake some where when swapping things out.

·
Registered
23,260 Posts
what is the ohm value?

there are loads that are hot all the time, like the ecm kam

clocks, radios etc

·
Registered
23,260 Posts
when someone states they did a continuity test, i have to assume they know that circuit must not have power on it

ohms law

12volts/1.2ohms=10amps

i dont believe you will draw 10amps with the key in the off position

therefore, there are probably a few loads in parallel

this reduces the total ohm value

this is a good example of why using an ohm meter is a useless test, unless you are trying to measure a single load

better test

connect the battery negative cable

use a test light to battery positive, and touch the stud

then measure the voltage drop from the stud to battery negative while the test light is still touching the stud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts