Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Razorback said:
Snakebit, how did they get it to light up green?

BTW you can see the 'functional' ones on my web page if you want. They're not functional in th ram air sense, but they are opened up so they act as a heat extractor.
I just saw pictures so I'm just guessing here, but I think they used a GREEN light behind the nostril. :lol:

As far as cutting the hood, don't worry, the metal on the hood is as thin as fibreglass. No, wait. It IS fibreglass. :confused:
Just go slo cause it's real easy to cut through.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Razorback said:
ArcticSnake: I wouldn't mind hooking up some dark green (w/ a hint of bright neon in them) up to mine, but how exactly are you doing this? I was also going to hook it up to a switch. What kind of lights are you using?
RICE, RICE, RICE...resist the dark side!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi:

I'm going to chime in only because I have some experience dealing with using hood scoops for cooling (Sunbeam Tigers need all the cooling help they can get!). Whether to provide cooling or ram air, if you want to force more air into the engine compartment, the best place to put an opening in the hood is where the air pressure at speed is the highest. The location of that point depends upon the aerodynamics of the particular car. I suspect it is not the same for fox-bodied Mustangs as for SN95's, but I do not know for sure.

For many cars, the high pressure zone is at the base of the windshield, not the middle of the hood. For such a car, a rear-facing opening at the back of the hood would take advantage of the ram effect at high speed.

Some cars have a low-pressure zone at the base of the windshield. For these cars, a rear-facing scoop at the rear of the hood would act to pull air from the engine compartment. When combined with a large grille opening, this can be a very effective way to cool the engine compartment. Obviously, such a setup would be a bad idea if you attempted to use it for ram-air.

Though I have not verified this myself, it is commonly believed that Tigers have a high pressure zone at the center of the base of the windshield, and low pressure zones to either side. I have seen several tigers with a rear-facing ram-air hood scoop and NACA ducts near the sides to pull heat out of the engine compartment, so as you can see, you can do both if you know where to put the holes in the hood.

As far as Mustangs go, I have little experience, but it would be pretty easy to tape some tufts of yarn to the hood and watch for air flow patterns as you drive down the road. I've read that Carrol Shelby did this with Tigers, Mustangs and Cobras. If the tufts move toward the sides of the hood far ahead of the windshield, this may indicate a high pressure zone. Preferably, you would want to see the tufts reverse direction and point toward the front of the car. Given the relatively aerodynamic shape of newer cars, however, it is unlikely that a significant high-pressure zone exists at the base of most windshields any more. Even the ram-air Trans Am's put their scoop near the very front of the car because there simply isn't any other place on the car that develops significant high pressure.

Based upon what little experience I've had, I suspect that the location of the nostrils on a '96 - '98 hood would not be a very good place for ram air because of the central "hump" in the hood. This is pure speculation, but the shape of the hood looks like it would create a high-velocity flow over the hood like the top of and airfoil, which means low pressure. By the same token, if you could reverse the direction of the nostrils, they might make good heat extractors.

As far as lights in the nostrils go, I can say with absolute certainty that no matter how bright they are, or what color they are, they will not make your mustang go any faster.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the_tool_man said:
Hi:

As far as lights in the nostrils go, I can say with absolute certainty that no matter how bright they are, or what color they are, they will not make your mustang go any faster.

Regards,
John.

I don't know.. if you had a bright enough light.. they could make your car faster.. if they were pointed behind you.. and I'm guessing it would take several hundred billion candle power to accomplish it..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The back of the hood on SN95 and up stangs is definitely a low pressure area.

T

·
Registered
77 Posts
i opened mine up with a drill and a cut off wheel. my car's hood (98 cobra) was not made out of metal. it was some compasite stuff. anyways it took a total of 5 mins to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as lights in the nostrils go, I can say with absolute certainty that no matter how bright they are, or what color they are, they will not make your mustang go any faster

What, you've never heard of the speed of light?:D

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't know.. if you had a bright enough light.. they could make your car faster.. if they were pointed behind you.. and I'm guessing it would take several hundred billion candle power to accomplish it..
I suppose this could be made to work, but you'd need one heck of an alternator. I suspect the weight penalty would more than offset any thrust from your "light drive".

Now if you could focus that light into the eyes of drivers around you, they would probably slow down. Then your car would seem to go faster. In reality, it would go relatively faster. I think Einstein proved that, didn't he?

Oh well. At the speeds most of us drive, relativistic effects are negligable. If you're driving close enough to the speed of light for relativity to matter, you don't need to worry about going faster, and no one will see the ricey lights poking out of your hood nostrils anyway - at least not long enough to figure out what they are.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used a Dremel tool on the 99 GT hood that I cut out. I drilled out the honey comb and it is like a functional ram air. When traveling my car seems to stay a few degrees cooler. When at a light I can see it go up to the middle were it usually is.

I will try to show pictures.

http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/2575/images/[email protected]_2575_8.jpeg[IMG]

I get all kinds of compliments from Z 28 owner but some of the mustang guys gave me a bunch of crap. It looks really great and I don't think the pictures do it justice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Anyone else think it would be cool, to have a nitrous purge spray coming out the 2 scoops on the 98 hoods, I like my hood and think that would look cool as hell....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well crap. I wrecked my car and I need a new hood. I haven't gotten very much feedback about a new hood. I wanted a 96 Cobra R hood for the heat extraction purposes. Which would work better for that? My car gets pretty dang hot in the day time. I like my stock hood, but the cobra r hood looks good too. Which do you guys think would look better on a white 96 cobra? If i get the cobra r hood, I'm gonna buy the cobra R wheels. So it'd look a lot like a real cobra r.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry, meant 95 cobra r hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sequencing nostril turn signals

When I first got my 98' I installed an alarm and put blue LEDs that blink when the alarm is armed in the nostrils.
I also designed/built and installed circuitry for 6 amber sequencing LEDs that sequence from the center outwards for turn signals in each nostril. I also designed them with automatic adjusting brightness so they can bee seen in the day but dont blind some one at night(Im using the brightest LEDs that I could find). The nostril turn signals sequence at the same rate so if the hazard flashers are on they are lit at the same on both sides.
Also I design/built my own tail light sequencers that are in sequence with the nostril LEDs and the normal front turn signals so they are all flashing at the same rate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
G98Cobra said:
Anyone else think it would be cool, to have a nitrous purge spray coming out the 2 scoops on the 98 hoods, I like my hood and think that would look cool as hell....
Does look very cool, actually in an issue of MM&FF last year there was a '98 Yellow Snake on the cover purging his NOS through the nostrils. Looked pretty mean.

If I had the extra cash laying around I would modify the 98 hood to be a fully functional ram air, using this intake.:cool:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/html/cat07.html

Would definitely look pretty cool at the local car shows!:D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If I was the guy in the vette and you pulled up behind me with that, I would be thinking "who does this guy in the honda civic think that he his?"

Just my .02

You could get some of those matching valve stem lights.:barf:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts