Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 97' cobra for my weekend and hopefully my future autox car. It's basically stock with the exception of subframe connectors and some adjustable kyb shocks in the rear installed by the previous owner.

It is a weekend driver but I want to keep it somewhat practical so I was thinking an 1" to 1.5" drop with a fairly stiff rate. I'm not on a super tight budget but I want to keep the cost reasonable.

What is a good set of struts and springs to fit my needs? I know there is a decent amount of info on the site about this but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Also I'm in Dallas so if anyone knows of any local-ish autox events then that would be cool too. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
136 Posts
H&R race springs or MM road & track
Bilstein HDs or Koni sport single adjustables

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would recommend H&R Race and Koni Sports... I carry them, and use that setup a lot because it works. I also have other springs and shocks, but frankly I'd much rather have the adjustment of the Koni's over no adjustment in the Bilstein's (one of the brands I handle so it's not like I'm anti-Bilstein--just don't think they are the best option for the money). The H&R Race are stiff, and the front end needs that, but they aren't off the deep end where the car isn't very streetable anymore.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was also going to reccomend the H&R race springs and koni single adjustables. I put them on the race car when it was still semi-streetable, and it rode a lot nicer than my DD that has steeda sport springs and stock shocks and struts. When I upgrade the race car to stiffer springs and double adjustables, I'm going to put that stuff on my DD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Looks like H&R Race and the Koni's is the way to go.

Does anyone know the approx. drop on the Race springs for a 97' Cobra?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can help you out, please let me know. I carry H&R and Koni both... (and I think you'll find the prices fair). :)

The drop is listed as pretty big spread since the stock height varied so much. They say 1-1.75 front, .75-1.25" rear. I generally see about -1.25" front and rear, but it does vary depending on the car. Figure 1.5" to be safe.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
+1 on the Koni S/A and the H&R race springs. I'm about to do the same to my Mach 1

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys do you suggest putting the coilover conversion on KONI/H&R or keep the stock shocks/spring setup ???

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
currently, i have only eibach sportline springs with oem shocks, i am planning to buy koni shocks SA and H&R race springs and MM coilover conversion kit.

now my question was: Is the MM coilover conversion worth the money or should i install the parts on stock setup (shock / springs)???

i drive my car on streets, but not DD . and i participat in sprint challenge and auto-x

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Race springs are firm but not harsh. Pair with konis they will probably be a little more firm than hd's. I'd imagine the hd's will give the best ride. Konis will probably give you additional tuning options if you are capable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Race springs are firm but not harsh. Pair with konis they will probably be a little more firm than hd's. I'd imagine the hd's will give the best ride. Konis will probably give you additional tuning options if you are capable.
thanks for your reply

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
currently, i have only eibach sportline springs with oem shocks, i am planning to buy koni shocks SA and H&R race springs and MM coilover conversion kit.
What (I think) 2k2GT is trying to tell you is that your H&R race springs won't work with a coilover kit, as they are conventional springs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
AHaaaa, thanks alot i just got it.

so which springs are most suitable to Koni SA shocks ??

thanks guys

·
Registered
41 Posts
for coilovers setup

·
Registered
490 Posts
Why dont you go with blen HD struts and shocks and mach 1 springs? mach1 springs are like HR road race.

I

1 - 20 of 37 Posts