Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious to know how a fully suspended Fox body would compare to a newer Z06 straight off the showroom floor.

I've started on my suspension and am going with the full MM setup. Basically piecing together the "grip box" (T/A, panhard, coil overs etc, etc, etc..).

Will this combo straight spank a Z06 on a road course, or would it be close (or the other way around)?

I use a Z06 as a reference point because it's about the best selling, highest performing factory car I can think of under $80k.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
straight spank?

doubt it bud.

no matter how much aftermarket stuff you put on it, your still comparing 30 year old suspension design to a brand new $70,000 sports car.

itll hang with it i bet, but deff not spank it.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
Not a chance....Z06 is going to dominate.

I spent years on my CP Mustang and untold dollars doing modifications way beyond MM bolt ons.

In the end, it wasn't that much faster than the bone stock C5-Z06 I ran last year.

The advantages will be even greater on a road course.

DaveW

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Maybe if you hate your car and drive the hell out of it. And the Z owner doesn't want to damage or abuse their car....you'll keep up until the warm up lap is over :p

·
Registered
463 Posts
well....... different chassis but same suspension, the GR 05+ mustangs seem to be pretty impressive--and since you posted this im sure you saw the video of the c6 zo6 and the 08 GR40.

long ago here or cc.com there was a long nasty debate on griggs old blue fox notch v.s 03 zo6 and how that car raced against some real exotic cars in the speedvision world challenge. this thread sure drew a line in the sand.:blam:

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
even if you build a fox to compete with a STOCK Z06 whoopty do. itd take so much to get it there, you might as well bought a Z, plus the potential of a Z is rediculous, not to mention he can be jammin to his BOSE stereo with the A/C on talking on his cell phone, while your in a clapped out foxbody race car. just barely keeping up.

·
Registered
463 Posts
point made, id like to see an in depth comparison of the new mustang with the GRtt kit v.s the c6 z06 -- since you race with a/c on and system bumpin.

The GRTT has some of the shortest stopping distances ever recorded from 60 at 96 feet compared to 113 feet of the zo6. we are also talkin a 30 grand difference in price too.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
yea, new mustang, that changed everything.

this thread is talking about foxbody cars, with suspension designs from late 1970's that were designed for straight line performance.

not the 05+ s197, im sure you could outfit one of those to hang with a Z, even then you better have a healthy engine to hang with the Z.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i felt that i should even it out a bit once you started talkin about a/c and more comfy interior. any way same suspension pretty much that they offer for the fox, as the fox with same kit has 60-0 in the 105 feet range.

i like this thread, im gonna look for the old thread/debate i found a while ago about the GR fox notch v.s the c5 zo6 and bring up some of the good points made. the z06 is real cool and all, but im all about tryin to smoke the rich old men with white hair that baby their zo6s around here with an over engineered fairmont chassis!....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i felt that i should even it out a bit once you started talkin about a/c and more comfy interior. any way same suspension pretty much that they offer for the fox, as the fox with same kit has 60-0 in the 105 feet range.

i like this thread, im gonna look for the old thread/debate i found a while ago about the GR fox notch v.s the c5 zo6 and bring up some of the good points made. the z06 is real cool and all, but im all about tryin to smoke the rich old men with white hair that baby their zo6s around here with an over engineered fairmont chassis!....

haha over engineered fairmont chassis I LOVE IT! :salute:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Not a chance....Z06 is going to dominate.

I spent years on my CP Mustang and untold dollars doing modifications way beyond MM bolt ons.

In the end, it wasn't that much faster than the bone stock C5-Z06 I ran last year.

The advantages will be even greater on a road course.

DaveW
Just curious, what was done to your Mustang? Full MM or Griggs Tubular front end? SLA? Panhard Bar/Torque Arm? Or Watts Link?

·
579 Posts
Just curious, what was done to your Mustang? Full MM or Griggs Tubular front end? SLA? Panhard Bar/Torque Arm? Or Watts Link?
Custom SLA low scrub front suspension, custom 3 link rear, completely gutted body work for weight reduction, bajillion point cage, rear mount radiator, very strong engine, 50/50 weight distribution, blah, blah, blah.

On good surfaces, I was faster than a lot of Z06's and SS. But if you look at the 2008 Solo Natiomals Results, CP as a whole was barely faster than SS. CP winning time was only a few tenths faster than SS.

DaveW

·
Registered
158 Posts
point made, id like to see an in depth comparison of the new mustang with the GRtt kit v.s the c6 z06 -- since you race with a/c on and system bumpin.

The GRTT has some of the shortest stopping distances ever recorded from 60 at 96 feet compared to 113 feet of the zo6. we are also talkin a 30 grand difference in price too.

They compared a fully built car to a bone stock Z06 on junk tires. I'll take the Z06.

·
579 Posts
What about an IRS Fox would that make a difference or same out come?
It would make the Fox heavier and slower....

The difference is in weight distribution, CG height, driver location and for track use, width and wheelbase. Some of those are hard to fix.

As long as a the 800# lump of metal called the engine and transmission is cantelevered 6 inches over the front tires, the Fox is not going to be Corvette. A S197 is better, but still...:)

DaveW

1 - 20 of 138 Posts