Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal. (see sig for car info) My car right after startup seems to run and pull real hard, its pretty quick right after start up. But ide say less then 5 mins or around there, it begins to run slugish and alot slower. and it has nothing, as far as i know, to do with heat, becuase after 5 mins the car isnt even warmed up all the way. it never runs hot. it just feels like it looses alot of power about a few mins after i start it up, I am thinking this has somthing to do with the computer sending diferent fuel and timing settings on startup as apossed to after its warmed up, is this true, anyone out there know there stuff on these 94 computers? its an aode 94 Gt. Also will a chip fix this , if its what im thinking it is. One last thing, if heard of somthing called tip-in retard, it has to do with the computer adjusting timing at certain shift points or somthing, I know i feel a loss in power right befor it shifts and after also. can some one help explain this stuff to me, please... THanks alot,,,,Mike

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Well you need to give us more than 2 hours to reply sometimes. Not sure if the AOD-E has tip-in retard. The 5 speed cars have tip-in retard, which basically pulls out 5 degrees of timing between shifts. Ford did this to help keep the T5s from breaking. You might want to look into a TwEECer or EEC Tuner. Both units have a ton of stuff for the AOD-E crowd. Shift schedule, TP pressuve, WOT shift points, converter lock up...many things. And the AOD-E processor has more conservative fuel and timing curves. And yes a chip will also do the same. As for the car running worse after it is warmed up...how bad is it? Does the car just not feel great or is the driveability bad? WHen was the last time you did a tune up...like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, pcv filter? If driveability is horrible after the car warms up then maybe you have a bad O2 sensor...b/c the EEC does not look at the O2s on start up.

Troy

·
Registered
267 Posts
Your car runs hard becuase it is still in open loop and is running richer. 5min later the ECT has stabilized(even if its not warmed 100% up) and leans everything out.

This is also true on fox bodies.
Our cars run especially lean.
-Mike

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
AOD cpu do have the tip-in factor, but it is set at a different value than the T5s.

94/5 cpus have the worst program in the world compared all other stangs. Our programs are way more flexible than the pre-93s, but not much folks know it (compared to other model years) and there are like a zillion parameters for OL/WOT, and closed loop.

You problems sounds like 3 possibities, you enter closed loop after 5min. and the eec program sucks in CL. Or, The EEC adds more fuel at around 176 deg., but pulls timing as well so you're too rich and no timing. Or 3rd, the load calculations are causing you to end up with timing settings beyond the EEC's BORDERLINE_DETONATION_SPARK table values, therefore reducing timing again.

A remedy maybe to try a 180 stat.

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EECTuner/, though you don;t have one, you can see what's really in our cpus (i.e. a mess!).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks alot for the input so far. No i wouldnt say the car is horible, its just i notice a defenate decrease in power and shifting frimness after a few mins of driving, especailly in the heat of day. I live in Florida, so yes it gets very hot, i have a 180 thermastat in it now, i dont really think the motor is getting hot. because this power loss happens befor it is even all the way warmed up. It either has somthin to do with open/closed loop settings ,or after it gets mildly warm the eec sends leaner/less timing to the engine. So with this said, would Diablo be able to tune me a chip to counteract these settings along with the tip-in retard while firming up my AODE? Only reason i say Diablo, is becuase im about 45 mins from them. Its not that im out for total wicked h/p or anything, i just would like to un-restrict what came factory, and free up some h/p along with a few other annoying habits the car has. Anyone got any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey i just noticed CW50 said...

"Or , the load calculations are causing you to end up with timing settings beyond the EEC's BORDERLINE_DETONATION_SPARK table values, therefore reducing timing again".

-Well not sure if it has anything to do with that, but i know my dad(he works on chevys not fords) tried adjusting timing on my car once, he didnt use a timing light or anything, just twisted the distributor till it sounded right and i tested it, not sure if ive had this problem since he did that or befor. But i really am not sure where the timings at now. The car doesnt seem to have any detonation problems whatsoever. and seems to have good power Just till it warms up slightly. Im lost.... anyone!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the same problems your experincing.. it is not really a big difference in power, just enough to notice. I'm not sure excatly what is causing it but I think the computer is a big portion of the problem. I bought an eec tuner recently and am learning how to use it, so hopefully I will change something to remedy this problem. BTW If I were you I would invest in a timimg light ($20-25) I would'nt like running around not knowing were my timing is at.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea i think i will somtime soon invest in an eec tuner and learn it well. Seems to be the cars computer is running and doing alot of things. I know Don-95-Vert keeps sayin run a code, well if i knew how i would, but i dont have a scanner or diagnostic machine to do that, and i do not get a check engine light, if that means anything. The car really runs well, its just like i said, a slight loss, maybe what u would feel between a new set of pullies or cold air intake. Also noticed the car sounds diferent, and doesnt run as smooth when it gets into this "mode" or whatever it might be. But it mostly does this during the Daytime, in the 85-90+ heat.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I totally know what you are talking about, my 95 Cobra does the same thing.

Seems to run REAL hard when I first start it, then a couple minutes later when it warms up it seems to get a little sluggish.

I'm sure it's the computer.

Need TwEECer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts