Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am adding a sump to my car and was speaking with my Uncle who is more knowledgeable than me drag racing. He has had a couple engine failures he related to a standard sump installation and the fuel sloshing.
His was originally done the same as all of the templates you see (5 ea 2.5" holes)
He said if he did a regular sump again (his is currently a baffled box inside the tank) he would use 4 holes and tack a length of exhaust pipe nearly to the top of the tank vertically in the 2.5" holes drilled in the tank with 1" holes drilled in the pipe horizontally only at the floor of the tank.
Is this new theory? or has anyone actually done this?
Seems like it would definately baffle the sump.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just cut out a square about an inch smaller than the sump, its been working over ten years that way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
why too much of a hole would be bad??? you want fuel togo in the sump anyway... just don't put fuel outlet flush w/ bottom of sump so dirt can accumulate in the bottom instead of clogging your pump. a drain place there would be a good idea.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How much fuel is in your tank while u are racing it? Got a stock sumped tank and i try to keep it about 1/2 tank or more. If i was to do it again problaly do the stealth tank with the fitting facing fwd, Like glennsperformance sells. because the fuel in the tank tends to go forward instead of backwards (design of the tank) i can hear my fuel pump cavitate all the time just by hitting the breaks or something.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I dunno mine been working fine for years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts