Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my stock sumped tank is starting to rust from the inside and my A1000 is getting a little noisy. I use the aeromotive controller for the pump and it's lasted about 6 years. I'm looking into the Glenn's sleeper tank due to cost and just replacing the A1000. Another option is one of the BBRC tanks and switching to maybe twin inline pumps just not sure what pumps or a later tank with a fuel hat and double/triple pump setup. Car makes 600whp and is mostly street driven so I'd like to be able to run down to 1/4 tank or so. Any recommendation/experiences appreciated

·
Registered
653 Posts
BBRC tank and a magnaflow pump. MCJ50 had a problem with the sleeper tank going down the track (it was a 8sec pass) if it was bellow a certain amount, the pump would starve for fuel. I'm running a 4303 magnafuel, its for continuous duty, no controller. I drove 380 miles on it w/o issues.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if that pump needs to be gravity fed from the sump or will it be able to pull the fuel from the tank if it's mounted above the outlet of the tank?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not sure on that, I'm using a sumped tank. I have a buddy that uses it w/o a sump, no issues but he doesnt drive it on the street that often. I would call Chris at BBRC or Magnafuel

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, under hard braking at anything under a half tank mine starts sucking air so I'd like to stay away from a sumped tank, not to mention it doesn't go with my license plate STOCK LX! Thanks for the advice and congrats on your recent passes, now put some brakes on it!

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I had major issues with fuel slosh on a Glenn's sleeper tank with go pro videos to illustrate.

Replaced with BBRC tank that had zero issues and looks great.

Call Chris and talk to him about it.

Spend the right money and do it once.

·
Registered
180 Posts
BBRC with fuel lab intank pump and electronic fuel regulator. The Electronic fuel regulator controls the pump speed no need for a pump controller. The intank pump will keep the stock look and the tanks are very nice. This is what I will be running.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
BBRC with fuel lab intank pump and electronic fuel regulator. The Electronic fuel regulator controls the pump speed no need for a pump controller. The intank pump will keep the stock look and the tanks are very nice. This is what I will be running.
Talk to Chris at BBRC, let him help advise you on it. He had some specific commentary on recent experiences with the different manufacturers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Talk to Chris at BBRC, let him help advise you on it. He had some specific commentary on recent experiences with the different manufacturers.
Did he say there was something wrong with the fuel lab pumps? This is what he recommended for me and I will be running a similar setup.

Be aware the bigger tanks sit lower.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I wasn't too sold on those pumps. I have a friend that was running their 1800hp pump on his turbo 363 and burned it twice with barely any run time. But I have seen alot of ppl with good results.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The protuner magnafuel pumps are the shiz. self priming. I use a granatelli pick up tube and my mp4302 did fine, upgrading to the 4303 now. I even ran it down to "E" and it still did fine on the way to the station (I was testing it). I even ran it with 17.5 volts nonstop for 6mo.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The protuner magnafuel pumps are the shiz. self priming. I use a granatelli pick up tube and my mp4302 did fine, upgrading to the 4303 now. I even ran it down to "E" and it still did fine on the way to the station (I was testing it). I even ran it with 17.5 volts nonstop for 6mo.
There are a ton of great choices out there. Here is what the Granatelli tank insert looks like.

It drops right in a factory tank and has had no issues based on low fuel levels. If you need help, Please PM me for a great price.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
The issue with this type of pickup and even with Glenn's sleeper tank is not when driving to the gas station.

The issue is whether you can effectively draw the right volume of fuel when launching or while accelerating and shifting going down the track.

I have always been fundamentally averse to rear sumped tanks because of the appearance but there are downsides to many of the alternatives.

The OP is talking of 600rwhp, which depending on how the car behaves going down the track may or may not be an issue

Everybody has to make their own choices on how much money to spend at one time and whether they want to hedge that their car may make more power and need the "ideal" solution later.

Ideal solution is clearly a properly baffled, sumped tank for racing purposes. As far as driving to the gas station, they will likely all work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would agree. You get what you pay for. However, the GMS pick up tube in a stock tank is just as reliable as the stock pump when it comes to scavenging. Also the GMS pick up tube drops into the stock location in the stock style tank which has a small baffled area.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i run GMS pick up tube in a stock tank with a1000 pump. works fine at track and on street. i only run filter post pump. you could fix stock tank at local radiator shop have it boiled out and coated. my race car was a sumped stock tank coated at radiator shop. it does need to be a baffled sump or it wont work for crap street driving if fuel level below 1/2 tank. aeromotive can rebuild the pump you have.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate all your opinions and experience. I'm still considering all my options so feel free to keep it coming.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
My gms sump has worked fine for me when out racing and street driving. I usually try to keep 1/4 or more in the tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts