Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets talk fuel pump selection. I am setting up to run a Vortech S trim on my 89 Coupe. Nothing crazy. I just want reliable fun street car. I have a simple motor plan. GT40 original style intake with 3 Bar GT40 heads. Stock camshaft for now.... gotta love living in Cali for the next 5 years till retirement. I have selected Innovate gauges to monitor the madness.

Which fuel pump would give me the ability to eliminate the Vortech T-Rex in-line fuel pump. I am trying do the right upgrades to have less.....255 or 340 pump. I do have 42lb injectors and lightning mass air meter standing by.

I also need a blow off valve.... any suggestions?

This is what happpens when your Novi 1000 idea does not work out....LOL..... Vortech definitely has more support for parts...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I ran a walbro 255 for 2 years and it worked flawless with my 42lb injectors. My combo was almost the same as yours except I had an E cam. I went with the 255 because it was a direct replacement, without the wiring upgrade ( which should be done with a 340 pump). And also just like your said, just wanted a good street car. I called these guys https://www.highflowfuel.com/ and talked to them on the phone, told them what I was doing and they had the best price on the 255.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
My car had a stock pump and Trex when i got it. Got rid of that crazy loud Trex and replaced the intank with a 320lph from High Flow Fuel. It was whisper quiet, gave as much fuel as the stock lines could handle (and not too much) and didnt overpower the regulator. Also need a “hot wire kit” to maintain good power to the pump.

Anything more than 320lph is overkill more than the lines will carry.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I am shopping.... Hot wire kit etc..... any other info you have please share.... thanks...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the Hot wire kit and the 255 fuel pump on the way...... BOV decision is still out...

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I got the Hot wire kit and the 255 fuel pump on the way...... BOV decision is still out...
if your still mass air, you cannot use a BOV, you will need a BPV (bypass valve) to redirect the air back into the inlet tract after the meter so that your not dumping metered air to atmosphere and getting lean condition. best solution is a basic vortech/bosch BPV, if your not planning boost over 12#...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vor-8d001-004?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vortech&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5oq-nNny3gIVxv_jBx25sw3HEAYYASABEgJXzfD_BwE

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if your still mass air, you cannot use a BOV, you will need a BPV (bypass valve) to redirect the air back into the inlet tract after the meter so that your not dumping metered air to atmosphere and getting lean condition. best solution is a basic vortech/bosch BPV, if your not planning boost over 12#...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vor-8d001-004?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vortech&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5oq-nNny3gIVxv_jBx25sw3HEAYYASABEgJXzfD_BwE
Thank You! A member here just sold me the Vortech/Bosch.... I am getting it done.... now to figure out what chip/montoring system to go with....

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Thank You! A member here just sold me the Vortech/Bosch.... I am getting it done.... now to figure out what chip/montoring system to go with....
ive been down the "tune it yourself" road, i think if i was to ever do another EFI car i would just have a chip and get someone to tune it. ive heard good things about Willy at dirty dirty...
https://dirtydirtyracing.com/shop/

·
Registered
183 Posts
whats a "hot wire kit" ?

also,when upgrading the power wire to the pump, does the wire have to be upgraded on the hanger (tankside) going to the pump as well?thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Never buy a chip. You have no way of tuning unless you have a chip burner. Buy the moates Qh. It will do the same thing. Then you can modify parameters yourself or have a tooner do it.
\
A hot wire kit is simple. Use the wire that your fuel pump ran off of to control a relay. Run a bigger wire per your manufacture from the battery to the relay. then to the fuel pump. It's a slave system.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
FWIW, I had good luck with both the Walbro 255 and the HPF 320. The 320 was about as much as the stock regulator can handle without backing up. I currently run a 450, but if I had to do it again, I would've staged a 320 with the 255. The 450 is too much to run full time on the street, but not enough flow for me to run E85 (I run 93, but would love to option to run E85 if it ever becomes available). Always run the biggest, shortest wires that are feasible to your pump. I run 10 gauge - about 8 feet total (positive and ground). 12 gauge would be the lowest I'd go, even for a 255. Use this calculator to get in the ballpark: https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=13.16&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=10&distanceunit=feet&amperes=12&x=61&y=21

Even half a volt is significant in pump flow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Never buy a chip. You have no way of tuning unless you have a chip burner. Buy the moates Qh. It will do the same thing. Then you can modify parameters yourself or have a tooner do it.
\
A hot wire kit is simple. Use the wire that your fuel pump ran off of to control a relay. Run a bigger wire per your manufacture from the battery to the relay. then to the fuel pump. It's a slave system.
thanks , does the wiring need to be ugraded in the tank as well? the power wire on the hanger to the pump..thanks

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I didn't. I ran the 10 gauge to the connector. With wire, it isn't a "weakest link" sort of thing - there's loss over distance. For example, a 6" long 18 gauge run will have less loss than a 10 gauge 20 foot run with the same voltage and current (more than 4 times less in my example). The only serious issue is overheating the wire. I wouldn't use 18 gauge for 12 amps, but you get the idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts