Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walbro 255 or aero 340? Running a Vortech Sc trim with 8-10lbs. Will the walbro be enough or should I just do the aero pump now? Also planning on using stock hanger and lines for time being. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
not having read what was just posted, I'll make it known that I had 2 stealth 340's die on me with less than an hour of operation on pump 93. Went to a walbro 450 and never had an issue since. I think AEM and Deatschwerks have a solid reputation and I also want to say that walbro has something bigger than the 255 that doesn't require hanger mods. my 450 required a little modification to the hanger.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yup I had a 340 run out of fuel on a HCI vortech combo at 400rwhp. I installed a walboro 450 and ran a 6an feed line and made 470.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope I don't run out of fuel, but my wideband will show me if I'm going lean. I ordered the 255 and it showed up the other day and planning on installing it tomorrow. Great place to deal with highflowfuel.com I talked to them and they said I should be good until about 500 horse with that pump. I guess we'll see soon. Thanks guys

·
Registered
999 Posts
I hope I don't run out of fuel, but my wideband will show me if I'm going lean. I ordered the 255 and it showed up the other day and planning on installing it tomorrow. Great place to deal with highflowfuel.com I talked to them and they said I should be good until about 500 horse with that pump. I guess we'll see soon. Thanks guys
I have the GSS340 (255HP pump from Walbro) . I am making a tad over 450whp on the stock pulley and no indication of pressure dropping off. You should be fine for your goals. It is advisable to do the wiring upgrade for more capability of that pump. They flow quite a bit more with more voltage. I wanna say like %25 more? I havent done the upgrade yet, but my numbers for good measure

Also a fuel pressure gauge in cabin is nice to keep an eye on things like this. I have a wideband too, but the pressure gauge will tell me a little more

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
All this talk of the Aeromotive 340 taking a dump... not a good feeling. I installed one of these units in my car with a stock style tank and hanger, but upgraded the wiring significantly to supply a solid 30A to the pump if it needs it. So far so good, but the Walbro 450 would've been the wiser choice.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
All this talk of the Aeromotive 340 taking a dump... not a good feeling. I installed one of these units in my car with a stock style tank and hanger, but upgraded the wiring significantly to supply a solid 30A to the pump if it needs it. So far so good, but the Walbro 450 would've been the wiser choice.
At the time I had bought my first one, it was the baddest pump for a stock tank (that I knew of at least) and aeromotive was on everybody's cars. blew up quick, 5.0Resto sent a new one and I mailed the old one back to aeromotive. Second one blew within probably 45 mins of drive time. replaced with the walbro instead, modified the hanger and dropped right in. it has been rock solid for hours upon hours on e85 now.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
At the time I had bought my first one, it was the baddest pump for a stock tank (that I knew of at least) and aeromotive was on everybody's cars. blew up quick, 5.0Resto sent a new one and I mailed the old one back to aeromotive. Second one blew within probably 45 mins of drive time. replaced with the walbro instead, modified the hanger and dropped right in. it has been rock solid for hours upon hours on e85 now.
You had two pumps fail? Where you running a B303?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Subscribing, these reports of newer pump failures is troublesome. I'm going to do two 255 HFP pumps for my blown combo soon. I'd rather have less stress on one reliable pump full time, and the second pump running rarely at WOT. With switch and relay, I can swap which pump runs and still get home if one dies.

The HFP pumps are on Amazon, the common models at least. I got one for my 91 Fox car, and the smaller inlet version for my 98 and 99. They were each $70 shipped.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
Ugh, I'm about to drive from Tucson, AZ to Whistler, BC, Canada with a 340 in my tank. What are the odds it's going to let me down?!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Ugh, I'm about to drive from Tucson, AZ to Whistler, BC, Canada with a 340 in my tank. What are the odds it's going to let me down?!
I know this is tough on road trips, but try not to run the tank dry enough to keep the pump uncovered. I imagine the stock hangers direct return fuel right onto the pump because it needs a fuel bath for cooling. Mine was set up this way but I guess it either wasn't enough to cool the pumps, or the pump died for other reasons. maybe grab another pump and take a small jack, 1/2" socket with a few extensions and a ratchet on your trip so you can swap it if you have issues?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I know this is tough on road trips, but try not to run the tank dry enough to keep the pump uncovered. I imagine the stock hangers direct return fuel right onto the pump because it needs a fuel bath for cooling. Mine was set up this way but I guess it either wasn't enough to cool the pumps, or the pump died for other reasons. maybe grab another pump and take a small jack, 1/2" socket with a few extensions and a ratchet on your trip so you can swap it if you have issues?
Aside from my issues, I'm sure there are a ton of other people not having this problem with that pump. you've done the required wiring upgrades so you'll probably be alright

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 340 was bad out of the box. It would run but not build pressure and then completely died. The tech implied I let the tank run dry which I did not. That being said the replacement has been fine for about a year now.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Subscribing, these reports of newer pump failures is troublesome. I'm going to do two 255 HFP pumps for my blown combo soon. I'd rather have less stress on one reliable pump full time, and the second pump running rarely at WOT. With switch and relay, I can swap which pump runs and still get home if one dies.

The HFP pumps are on Amazon, the common models at least. I got one for my 91 Fox car, and the smaller inlet version for my 98 and 99. They were each $70 shipped.

I would completely avoid hfp pumps or anything they sell. Their pumps are absolute garbage and the customer service is worthless. There is a reason they are so cheap.... Don't take a chance. Unless you like doing jobs 3-4 times.

This thing with aeromotive is starting to get silly. I've had their pump in my tank for 3 years. A lot of people don't take the time to read the directions about covering up the tiny vent hole. That cause pumps to fail prematurely. Also putting a 340lph on a stock hanger is worthless. You are making that pump work way too hard to push that amount of fuel through that tiny line. and then return through an even smaller line? What the hell are you guys thinking? Of course the pump is going to burnout faster than a 255lph.

That's how I can always tell when someone is running a 255 pump. Its always loud. Why is it loud? Because the pump is straining to supply the amount of fuel that is was designed to do. if you put bigger lines, say -6, the 255 is MUCH quieter.

If Im running stock lines I don't go bigger than 190lph.

I run -6 throughout my system. Aeromotive pump is whisper quiet.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My walbro 450 is nearly as quiet as stock moving e85 through my stock hanger, lines, and rails though. :salute:

Not and argument, but more of a design/engineering discussion:
These pumps are built to run high pressure. They naturally won't flow as much volume at higher pressures but that doesn't mean they're being overworked, or should fail because of it. These things are dying with rail pressures around 40-45psi. If the return line was a restriction, it would cause the rail pressure to increase due to back-pressure in the return, but that isn't happening.

Calculating the pumping head created by the stock lines, you likely wouldn't see double the pressure at the pump outlet, and even if you did, these pumps are tested at 90psi and operate fine. If somehow the pump outlet was seeing 110-120psi, I could understand immediate failures but this shouldn't be the case.

We have pressure gauges at the rail that tell us rail pressure and return line back pressure (same thing essentially) but it would be a good experiment to place a gauge right at the pump outlet/hanger to see just how much pressure the pump is building at idle (worst case, least fuel being used by engine).

anybody up for it?

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
Well, I don't know about arguing about pump size and line diameter, etc., but the Aeromotive 340 in my car is whisper quiet and it got me from to Tucson to Portland no problem, using an ample amount of boost throughout the journey. I do not think my pump is working too hard using stock lines. Fuel pressure looks great (got an in-cab electric gauge). The Walbro 450 was not an option at the time that I obtained my 340, but I have always had great luck with Walbro pumps so would naturally have gone that route had it been available at that time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts