Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the site and I live in the UK I am working on my 1998 3.8 GT Coupe. I have done quite a bit of work on it including the radiator carrier and front and rear crash bars,rear brakes and shocks.I also had to do the rear diff as it was leaking badly.When I opened up the cover ,very little fluid dropped out.Also there was no old gasket as someone had just sealed it with a mastic sealer. I cleaned all the gears and inside of the housing,and fortunately there were none of the dreaded bits of metal. I placed a new gasket on and bought a new cover. Then it came to topping up with the reccomended fluid. What a job getting the filler nut removed,I soaked it with easit spray for about three days,tried alot of different tools,and eventually was elated when it moved . I topped up and replaced the old nut with a new one. I have also updated the front lights and rear lights, a new battery holder as the old one was rotten.I have a new set of mirrors to put on also. The problem I have at the moment is with the rear fuel lines from the tank to the feeder and return lines. whoever had this car was pushing it , they had put a funny junction connector on the back near the fuel filter,and then they had put a rubber hose on where the fuel lines were meant to be. So I am now a bit confused as to the fuel line flow from the tank to the filter and the other lines,anyone who can send me diagram of as it should look that would be great. I do have a haynes manual ,but it is no good for seeing fuel lines,also I recently tried to purchase the official Ford Mustang factory manual.I ordered it and after about twenty days I got concerned.It seems that there are big problems with the USPS service,and my purchase may be lost forever in the galaxy of the postal system.I have ordered some parts for my car also ,but often you find that they are not in stock,at the moment I am waiting for the fuel lines ,Which I am told will be about five weeks.Well I am attaching a couple of pictures for you to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome, hope you are doing well on your side of the atlantic.

1st. You don’t have a GT coupe. You have an LX coupe. The GT is the 5.0L engine. The LX is the 3.8L.

2. Can you send a pic of the fuel lines you are asking about. I have a 98 LX and can send any pics you need if you can be specific about what you need to see.

3. It’s is common to forgo the gasket and just use sealer on the rear end. However it seems that yours was not done well and you smartly have taken care of that issue.

4. I must say I have never seen someone paint the exhaust pipes like that. Hope it holds up to the heat.

You should enjoy the car. I also have 94, 95, & 98GTs as well as other cars and the 98LX is among the most reliable cars I have ever owned. It may not be the fastest car out there, but it’s fun to drive and easy to work on. Its a convertible so that ads to the fun factor too.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
jack stand ORANGE!!

love it!

Reactions: Starter

·
Registered
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys , Thanks for the replies. The red paint is a high heat resistant one ,so hopefully it will stay on for a bit and only the end of the pipes you can see are painted. Good to get some info on the proper ID of the Mustang. The trouble over here is that when they get sold people tend to be know a lot less than they claim,and I am a learner . It was adverised as a GT Coupe,but I will still enjoy it anyway. As for the jack stand,that is the standard color for them,in fact the company who sells them has most of it's garage equipment that color. Anyway love the comments and will get back to you with some pics ASAP Flade.
Meanwhile here is one web site popular with track racers,street ,racers and go kart racers here in the UK :
Will try and get some more sites added,I know of a car breakers yard not far from me,and he has all kinds of Americcan muscle and other top car bits,and he posts internationally.
Bye the way any of you reside in the sunshine state?,I was supposed to visit again this year,but the virus issue has blocked me.
Born to be wild and all that,you all have agood day.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
my thought is that the pipes were painted the same color as the jackstands

·
Registered
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, hope you are doing well on your side of the atlantic.

1st. You don’t have a GT coupe. You have an LX coupe. The GT is the 5.0L engine. The LX is the 3.8L.

2. Can you send a pic of the fuel lines you are asking about. I have a 98 LX and can send any pics you need if you can be specific about what you need to see.

3. It’s is common to forgo the gasket and just use sealer on the rear end. However it seems that yours was not done well and you smartly have taken care of that issue.

4. I must say I have never seen someone paint the exhaust pipes like that. Hope it holds up to the heat.

You should enjoy the car. I also have 94, 95, & 98GTs as well as other cars and the 98LX is among the most reliable cars I have ever owned. It may not be the fastest car out there, but it’s fun to drive and easy to work on. Its a convertible so that ads to the fun factor too.
I have had alook at the fuel Lines and it is the ones that run from the tank to the supply and return lines. I know there is a direction arrow on one of the tank outlet pipes and I think that connects to the fuel filter, I can't see the where the pipe that leaves the filter goes , and that is because there was somekind of t connector with four outlets on it, and that was removed.
so the pipe leaving the fuel line is not there,and then there is a mainline that has tube cut and had a rubber hose on it that was leaking. The problem I have had is that when I look on the net there seems to be a lot of updated or different fuel lines.
Anyway as I said I saw a breakers yard not far from me and it has alot of newer model and some S95 parts that they ship. Maybe worth a look for some members.

Site:Parts | Douglas Valley

I will try and get some pics of Mustangs from over here to post .

Best regards

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Since your car is a V6 model, it uses a 7.5" axle assembly. Almost all cars with a 7.5" axle assembly had single exhaust. Given this, they used a rear brake line and hose routing designed for single exhaust. Since you have installed dual exhaust on your car, you need to redo the rear brake line, hose and lines on the axle assembly to the 8.8"/dual exhaust style. Currently the brake line and hose are nearly touching the right side tailpipe. This will boil the brake fluid in the line and you will have no rear brakes as a result and/or it will damage the hose, which will then pop under pressure and you will have almost no brakes as a result.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Guys , Thanks for the replies. The red paint is a high heat resistant one ,so hopefully it will stay on for a bit and only the end of the pipes you can see are painted. Good to get some info on the proper ID of the Mustang. The trouble over here is that when they get sold people tend to be know a lot less than they claim,and I am a learner . It was adverised as a GT Coupe,but I will still enjoy it anyway. As for the jack stand,that is the standard color for them,in fact the company who sells them has most of it's garage equipment that color. Anyway love the comments and will get back to you with some pics ASAP Flade.
Meanwhile here is one web site popular with track racers,street ,racers and go kart racers here in the UK :
Will try and get some more sites added,I know of a car breakers yard not far from me,and he has all kinds of Americcan muscle and other top car bits,and he posts internationally.
Bye the way any of you reside in the sunshine state?,I was supposed to visit again this year,but the virus issue has blocked me.
Yes I live the Florida Panhandle. Where do you visit when you a4e here? I’d jack up our LX and shoot you some pics of the fuel line, but we have a little rain shower (we call them hurricanes) coming in tomorrow. Perhaps it will dry out by Sat and I can get some pics.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes I live the Florida Panhandle. Where do you visit when you are here? I’d jack up our LX and shoot you some pics of the fuel line, but we have a little rain shower (we call them hurricanes) coming in tomorrow. Perhaps it will dry out by Sat and I can get some pics.

·
Registered
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since your car is a V6 model, it uses a 7.5" axle assembly. Almost all cars with a 7.5" axle assembly had single exhaust. Given this, they used a rear brake line and hose routing designed for single exhaust. Since you have installed dual exhaust on your car, you need to redo the rear brake line, hose and lines on the axle assembly to the 8.8"/dual exhaust style. Currently the brake line and hose are nearly touching the right side tailpipe. This will boil the brake fluid in the line and you will have no rear brakes as a result and/or it will damage the hose, which will then pop under pressure and you will have almost no brakes as a result.
Hi Jack,
Thanks for that info,as I said I am all for learning,and it looks like I am learning the hard way. The exhaust was already fitted when I bought the car,it has had a few owners who have done some good work as far as servicing and replacing some items ( I have the copies of some bills ) . It is a good job I have not been on any long drives since driving the car home and fixing the items I stated. The car was bought through a classic car showroom and he bought it from a well known auction house. But since being on here I am getting the feeling that it is not 100% right. I think someone has probably done this car in a way that they would have liked to purchase the real goods. I did have a few questions with the seller,but he was not interested. So I just have been soldiering on. It is better than it was,but I do not want to put mine or my failies life in danger due to someone not knowing what they were doing.Again thanks for that info,I appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I live the Florida Panhandle. Where do you visit when you are here? I’d jack up our LX and shoot you some pics of the fuel line, but we have a little rain shower (we call them hurricanes) coming in tomorrow. Perhaps it will dry out by Sat and I can get some pics.
Hi Flade,
I have stayed in Florida with the kids early on at the international drive area when there was only big spaces,when I visited again later on it surprised me how much has been built on.Have also stayed near Miami.frt Lauderdale, St Petes,Clearwater, and down near Naples. I did the Petty experience at the Daytona race track,and that was fantastic,it was a birthday gift from my wife,and the speed up the bankside was out of this world. Don't do the Disney thing anymore,I like just cruising around and seeing lesser known area's,what you might call the real people areas.
Now I am under the direction of the dreaded virus as to when we can visit the great state again. We will get the first available slots on the flights when we can. Can't leave it too long as I am a young 70 yr old. Still got the springs in my feet though.
I remember the heavy rains when we have been in florida,but at least it is warm and soon clears up. We were a family of tourists then, recognised by wearing plastic macs that stuck to you like glue and steamed up.
Anyway I hope the hurricane dies down quick for you all .so that you can get on with a bit of the norm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I drive has become really massive in the last 20 years. We still do Disney from Time to Time, but also Universal and other things too. Haven't done the Petty experience. It sounds great. We live up on the panhandle with some of the finest beaches in the world. Look up Destin, Fl. If you haven‘t been to Kennedy Space center it is well worth a visit for a day or two.

·
Registered
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When we booked for this year we booked on the Space center side,we were due to stay one night at a motel near Sanford airport,and then move on to the coast. It was not far from the space center,so we were looking forward to visiting it. I have a relative who lives at the palm coast area,and I was going to visit him for the first time,I never even knew he lived there.
I got a comment about the exhaust being too near the brake pipes,as this model should only have a single exhaust.So it will be a matter of moving the brake pipes .or fitting a heat shield,would be a bit of a shame to have to mess with the exhaust by cutting a piece off. I am trying to find the details for the car on the log ,but as usual you can never find something when you want it. I did check the VIN once and it stated that the car was built in Michigan,I will do a bit more research,It would be good to know who owned it in the USA. Anyway I hope next year turns up good for tourists to the USA, I am sure the hotels need them.Take care.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Moving the brake lines shouldn’t be too tough. I work on a lot of a classic Mustangs and this is a common change needed when adding dual exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts