Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys keep the fuel cell from leaking from the sump fittings? I am using 2 -12an fittings, so I had to enlarge the stock holes a bit, however its a tight fit for them.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
How do you guys keep the fuel cell from leaking from the sump fittings? I am using 2 -12an fittings, so I had to enlarge the stock holes a bit, however its a tight fit for them.
Usually you use a teflon washer on the inside and outside of the cell (both sides of the bulkhead fitting).

I used a metal washer with a viton seal built into it and it sealed perfectly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The teflon washer, doesn't seem to be doing the job now. Where did you get the washer with the viton seal?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The teflon washer, doesn't seem to be doing the job now. Where did you get the washer with the viton seal?
I got it from a local store that deals with a lot of hydraulic fittings and supplies. I can swear that I actually saw one in an autoparts store too (although I doubt it would be the diameter to fit -12).

Let me take a look and see if I can find some.

This the closest thing I can find.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=itemnum&action=Go!&QueryString=1tuz8&submit.x=40&submit.y=9

I can't guarantee it is the same thing.

If you can't figure out anything, I can go by the place and pick some up for you.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I got it from a local store that deals with a lot of hydraulic fittings and supplies. I can swear that I actually saw one in an autoparts store too (although I doubt it would be the diameter to fit -12).

Let me take a look and see if I can find some.

This the closest thing I can find.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=itemnum&action=Go!&QueryString=1tuz8&submit.x=40&submit.y=9

I can't guarantee it is the same thing.

If you can't figure out anything, I can go by the place and pick some up for you.
That's actually a flexitallic gasket with a graphite winding. Not sure what you're wanting to seal (I don't quite understand the original poster's problem) but that gasket will take a LOT of force to get a seal. It's made for pipe...industrial pipe and flanges.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That's actually a flexitallic gasket with a graphite winding. Not sure what you're wanting to seal (I don't quite understand the original poster's problem) but that gasket will take a LOT of force to get a seal. It's made for pipe...industrial pipe and flanges.
Ah, i was trying to find the closest thing to what I actually bought. In searching for washers with viton seals, that is what came up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem I have is sealing the fittings on the sump of a fuel cell (in my case poly cell). The teflon washers are not sealing correctly.

What do you use to seal it correctly?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The problem I have is sealing the fittings on the sump of a fuel cell (in my case poly cell). The teflon washers are not sealing correctly.

I had the same problem with the teflon washers when I enlarged my cell outlet from a -10 to a -12. While it should not matter, the -12 teflon washer's surface area is much smaller compared to the -8 or -10. I think it tends to distort more when you are tightening the bulkhead fitting down and allows gas to leak around it. My -12 bulkhead fitting was a tight enough fit into the cell that it literally screwed in and it still leaked. Just a theory though.

The metal washer with the viton seal that I described solved the problem. I think the thicker flanged metal contributes to the solution since you can crank down on it and it creates a flat seal against the cell as well as the viton preventing fluid from getting by.

As has been said, check some local hydraulic supply places. If you can't find it, I can pick them up and ship them to you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had the same problem with the teflon washers when I enlarged my cell outlet from a -10 to a -12. While it should not matter, the -12 teflon washer's surface area is much smaller compared to the -8 or -10. I think it tends to distort more when you are tightening the bulkhead fitting down and allows gas to leak around it. My -12 bulkhead fitting was a tight enough fit into the cell that it literally screwed in and it still leaked. Just a theory though.

The metal washer with the viton seal that I described solved the problem. I think the thicker flanged metal contributes to the solution since you can crank down on it and it creates a flat seal against the cell as well as the viton preventing fluid from getting by.

As has been said, check some local hydraulic supply places. If you can't find it, I can pick them up and ship them to you,
Mine also screws in the cell, I got it as tight as you did. Thanks for the offer. I will let you know if I can't find any. how much do they cost?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Mine also screws in the cell, I got it as tight as you did. Thanks for the offer. I will let you know if I can't find any. how much do they cost?
Only a couple of bucks at most.

I just talked to the store and it isn't actually viton. It is called a bond seal.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Ah, I have an aluminum cell and mine are welded in.

If Novi doesn't get you what you need you could try a Buna-N (nitrile) gasket.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine leaked on my poly call. I just replaced them with teflon washers like it came with and the cell has not leaked sense. Have you tried just replacing them?

Jess

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
how did you enlarge the hole...??

is the surface for the sealing washer FLAT AND SMOOTH...

steel washer with the impregnated rubber or buna or viton is still the best overall....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turbojunky-I have not tried replacing the nylon washers. I may have novi357 get some of the washers he is using.

Kato- I enlarged the holes using a die grinder and welding grinder tool ( can't remember official name). Yes it flat and smooth and a tight fit.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Novi357- I haven't been able to find anything good. Tell me how much the washers cost and I will send you some money. I guess I need 4 that fit -12an like yours. Thanks

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Novi357- I haven't been able to find anything good. Tell me how much the washers cost and I will send you some money. I guess I need 4 that fit -12an like yours. Thanks
Not a problem. I will pick up four of them either tomorrow or saturday morning and pm you the info.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
the best type of nut are those that have a counterbore in the face...this will allow the outer hex part of nut to dig in to the washer and create a "ring" of sorts....
this is better than if the nut was totally flat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts