Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running a larger than stock tank fuel cell. I know the drag boys are running 5's and 10's but i was wondering if anybody installed say a 20 or 25 and fit it in nice and clean???? anyone?? I know on the factory 5 cobra kits that use our parts they can run a 25...
Not to mention that the stock tank looks like A** from the rear and a bright red or blue fuel safe hanging out just a little would look a lot cleaner with a billet skid plate to boot...

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
You could find a Cobra R cell. My friend put one on his Cop Car/Saleen. It holds 20 gallons. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
20 Gal Cell

Dats da one :leghump: other than the off center ford logo :rolleyes:
Now picture that peeking out from under a cervinis cobra rear valance...YEah baby!
So the barrage of questions comes next.
1. What brand
2. Where is the filler neck
3. Does it use the stock pump.
4. If not, which one and what pick up does it use.

Yaddah yaddah... Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? The Fuel Safe one that is from the Cobra R is a bolt on and uses the stock filler location. But the price is around $2,000 for a race legal one. I know because I called Fuel Safe last year to get one and I almost had a heart attack when they told me the price.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ya, Fuel Safe are soooo nice.. but i can't really imagine spending $2k on just a gas tank replacement for that "look"
Click for pix. http://behindbarsracecars.com/bigpics/foxbody.htm
I have seen this tank installed

Mustang aluminum fuel tank BBRC
591 12 gallon capacity uses stock
fuel sender. All tig welded
construction. 2 inch sump 2 1/2 pt
fittings. $475.99

·
Registered
22,416 Posts
If its just the 'look' ones after, I agree $2K is way too much. But i justify its need because of my SC. I wanted to retain the stock range of the car. And the addition of the SC made fillups way too frequent with the stock 15.4 gal tank.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
indy2000 said:
Thought you would have done that awhile ago?
Got the fittings worked out?
Yeah, Been sitting on it forever. Didnt wish to fix something that aint broke, and find out at the track 300 miles away in Indianapolis...
Might do it before GingerMan Raceway (roadcourse) this weekend, otherwise it will be one of my winter projects.

·
Registered
222 Posts
DieselDiesel said:
Ya, Fuel Safe are soooo nice.. but i can't really imagine spending $2k on just a gas tank replacement for that "look"
Click for pix. http://behindbarsracecars.com/bigpics/foxbody.htm
I have seen this tank installed

Mustang aluminum fuel tank BBRC
591 12 gallon capacity uses stock
fuel sender. All tig welded
construction. 2 inch sump 2 1/2 pt
fittings. $475.99
Is that tank SFI approved? Is there a fuel cell bladder inside?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
RiceRocketeer said:
Dats da one :leghump: other than the off center ford logo :rolleyes:
Now picture that peeking out from under a cervinis cobra rear valance...YEah baby!
So the barrage of questions comes next.
1. What brand
2. Where is the filler neck
3. Does it use the stock pump.
4. If not, which one and what pick up does it use.

Yaddah yaddah... Thanks
Answers:
1. Fuel Safe (but you can't get them in anything but black anymore (neener))
2-4--direct replacment. All stock items used.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Fuel Safe

Holy christ!! For 2K that thing better drive itself to my house, paint itself strap itself in and pump my gas when it needs a refill. I might even tell it to do my ol' lady when i am busy wrenching...I fell down just now.

I was cool with around 6 bills but 2k is ridiculous. I have seen the specs and for the life of me cannot figure the 2K breakdown.

As it is for my street car and I am trying to satisfy 2 needs
1. More Fuel for less fill-ups when commuting
2. Good looking peice of Tech just for show-off factor behind my cervini's. If it came in carbon i'd fall over. Don't get me wrong I am not of the Rice Breed (screen name is from racing bikes) but some of the stuff those guys do has a little "Snaz" to it, i must admit. Not many things but some :)

So the Aluminum alternative doesn't satisfy #1 so no go.

Found these guys through FFR http://www.atlinc.com/suggprice.pdf

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was told by one of the guys who works at Fuel Safe the reason for the high price. He said that it used to be $1,200 for the "Racing Cell" but Fuel Safe had a firm come in and do cost analysis on their product line. They found that the company was just breaking even with the sale of a few of the fuel cells and the Cobra cell was one that got a MAJOR increase.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is this fuel cell, SA110C - Street Cell (20 gal.) - $1170, seen here
compatible with a fox body? Also whats the main difference between the higher priced Fuel Safe cells.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
i have the polished 110C cell and its beautiful. i love it and would never go back to anything else. its the same tank as the 22 gal but with 2 less gallon space

adam

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice looking tank for sure. But it doesn't appear to offer the level of safety that I'm looking for. Maybe it's just me, but fuel lines exiting out of the exposed area of the tank make me a tad paranoid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts