Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be getting a fox body mustange dont know alot of details about it right now. but im going to put a turbo on it if i get it, my main question is what do you guys use to control fuel and spark? im coming from a supercharged dakota, so i used a digital fmu w/ a boost a pump for fuel and a msd 6btm for timing is that the norm over hear i know i have to do alot of research before i do any thing but i want to know if i should sell my fmu/boost a pump and btm or keep it. thanks

dan.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some one help? do you guys use boost-a-pumps and fmu's or do you have another away to control the injectors?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
for fuel and spark control i use megasquirt stand alone unit on my turbo fox and it works great

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. is there any thing else people use? i looked into that before not a big fan of it. what are the other choices?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
there is also the tweecer RT which is also very good and alot of people here have that as well.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
There are several options.

Tweecer will tune the stock computer
SCT makes a "chip" your local tuner can burn and tune your stock computer

MegaSquirt makes a stand-alone

AEM makes a plug-n-play stand-alone that plugs into factory wireharness
and completely replaces stock ECU.

You will need to replace the stock fuel pump with a 255 lph high pressure pump
new 42lbs injectors and a new blow thru MAF.
The tuner will then calibrate it all using one of the above methods.

Most people go with SCT cause its the cheapest.
The AEM computer the most expensive, but gives the best results and added
features like boost control, anti-lag launch and data logging.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
PMS also.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just put your timing to 20 degrees and leave the spout out. Bump your fp and get big injectors and maf. Wideband too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dose any one use blow through carbs at all? i the mustang I'm looking at is a 87 that is speed density right? Ive heard that SD is not that good for a turbo application. is this true? so I'm guessing in the the mustang world no one really does the fmu and msd btm method? seems that there are better choices any ways. i appreciate all the info guys ill have to look into all of those.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
dose any one use blow through carbs at all? i the mustang I'm looking at is a 87 that is speed density right? Ive heard that SD is not that good for a turbo application. is this true? so I'm guessing in the the mustang world no one really does the fmu and msd btm method? seems that there are better choices any ways. i appreciate all the info guys ill have to look into all of those.
87 speed density computer can not be tuned by above listed tuners.
Its a quirk for that year. All other years are MAF based systems so that is what
got aftermarket development.

SD is actually better for boosted motors, but again no one put out an
aftermarket tuner for that one year they used it.

You can do a MAF computer swap, do a search tons of threads and info.

boost-a-pump and FMU are very limiting and dont give a very safe tune.
Boosted motors need more fuel than an N/A motor. They run at much richer
a/f's at WOT. To do it right you really need a custom tune with the fuel and
timing maps adjusted properly.

CSU makes good blow-thru carbs if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks for the info. i think im am going to go with a blow through carb, ive been reseaching alot and reading alot over on the turbo forum and they seem to have pretty good luck with the blow throughs.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
ok thanks for the info. i think im am going to go with a blow through carb, ive been reseaching alot and reading alot over on the turbo forum and they seem to have pretty good luck with the blow throughs.

Hope you have a tuner that knows and has been around blow thru carbs
They can be a pain to get "just right" sometimes.

Is this your DD or just a weekend warrior car ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually they made speed density from 87 to 88. 88 California cars had mass air. I'm running a F.A.S.T. XFI unit. It's speed density.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts