Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a front tire for my drag stars now. Wondering what size you recommend as well as what brand? Taller, shorter? Dont really know what I need here.

Anyway, the car is a edicated drag car, but I dont think I need to have Hoosiers up front too. At $145 each, it's a little rediculous. I've seen a regular tire from '70's VW beetles on cars. Any suggestions?

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
I run a 165/15 on mine. Got them at the local tire store a couple years ago for like $40 bucks each. Not sure if that's what you meant, just a thought.
x2 thats what i run.

·
Registered
740 Posts
be warned if you use a cheapo tire like that, they aren't meant to be on a vehicle that's hauling ass, there HAVE been instances where the cheap tires disintegrate on the top end...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
^^ That's EXACTLY what I meant. What is the aspect ratio on them?
Not sure, the car is not here right now but I'll be heading to the garage today. I run 110 mph in the 1/4 and 120 on juice, and had it even faster in other cases. Not saying they will take 140 mph though. With that speed, might not want to skimp on them. Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A taller tire rolls farther than a shorter tire before starting the clock, giving you more of a head start so that helps your ET...shorter tires break the beam quicker, which helps your reaction time.

I got the 26" Hoosiers and run about 48 lbs. of air. I used to have cheap used 165s on the front and just didn't feel safe on them. The drag fronts are lighter, with less rolling resistance, safe at speed, and they track (noticeably) better with slicks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I run cheapo 165/80R15's on my 'vert. Even @ 50psi they look low on air. Car is too nose heavy. I am goind to step up and get 8 ply front runners to support the weight.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I run the cheapo's too, but I am looking for something better to replace them with. My car don't trap at 140...yet but if it does the big end of the track is no place for problems at that speed. Get something good for yourself/car, is it really worth chancing?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I run the Moroso's, they are light and just over a bill a piece. I dedicated drag car with a heavy radial on the front??? Do it right the first time, ive had mine for over 3 years.

These have nice technogoly built into them, they are rounded under acceleration, and flatten on decel.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Another thing to consider is rollout. I currently have the 165-80-15 tires on my car. These are 26" . I keep turning on that red light at the bottom of the tree. I need to get a taller tire to slow the rollout.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Im not saying its smart but i have traped well over 140 many times with the 165 tires.I been meaning to get something different before i go to the quarter again . Have you guys seen or know of people acually haveing the tires let go at those speeds ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts