Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought it up in my build thread (http://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/2394634-building-better-foxbody.html), but I thought I'd bring the topic here to get some input. Basically, I'm building my '90 LX hatch into a turbo 302 all-around street car. The idea is to have the car just as at home at the strip as it is at the autocross (I know, I'm a special kind of stupid). All of this has fallen together through finding deals: so it's a lucky, budget-conscious project.

I hit a snag when I went to install my new engine and discovered that the crossover pipe for my turbo kit (an old Cartech Outlaw setup) goes right through the front swaybar's real estate. I pulled the bar, installed the engine, and then attempted to mock it up to see if SN mounts would help... no dice. Now I need to figure out what to do. I plan to get the new engine running on my current suspension, and install those upgrades at a later date, but I need to figure this out nonetheless.

As the car currently sits:
Stock springs and struts/shocks
MM full-length SFCs
Torque box reinforcement plates
MM strut tower brace
MM Extreme Duty LCAs
New Edge SN95 GT/V6 brake swap using 94/95 spindles
MM C/C plates
MM steering shaft
17x9 fronts with 245/40/17s
17x10 rears with 275/40/17s

To be installed:
MM COP-1 (got off Corral, came with 350# springs and a set of Bilstein struts)
Bilstein HD rear shocks
MM Heavy Duty Torque arm
MM Panhard bar

My original plan for the coilovers was to swap the springs for something a little less aggressive. With that in mind, I had thought about running the stiffer coilover springs I currently have (letting them make up for lost roll stiffness) and use rear springs more in-line with my original plan (MM 42TA5 or H&R Super Race?). Then again, I'm not sure that would make for acceptable handling.

My other option would be to use a 3-piece ("NASCAR-style") front swaybar, custom-mounted forward of the crossover pipe. Problem is, that will likely not fit my budget. Not to mention I wouldn't know where to begin as far as choosing the proper size.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I the only one to run into a dilemma like this?

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
On a typical Mustang the swaybars create about 70% of the roll stiffness. If you remove the front swaybar, this means that the front spring rate would need to triple to keep body roll constant. This will result in really poor ride quality for several reasons.

The only real solution here is to install a splined front swaybar. Assembling one from almost off the shelf parts is not too difficult to do, but a little fabrication will be required.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That much, eh?

Well... guess I have to figure out what size I'll need, and start pinching my pennies.

Appreciate the info, good sir.

·
Please call me Mike
1,583 Posts
How much is it in the way ? Maximum sells sway bar relocation kits that move it slightly forward. The kit was designed to help with k members that move wheel location. It doesn?t move it very much (less that 2 inches) but may be what you need.

Any thoughts on modifying turbo kit ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts