Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a difference in front suspension travel and I am wondering what makes this differ so much from car to car. I am specifically talking about on the launch, where the wheel can hang down as the weight transfers to the rear of the car. My car cuts about a 1.48 60 foot but the darn front wheel hangs down so far (more than half) that is looks more than most other similar cars. I notice on many drag cars that the front wheels dont really drop too much at all. Plus this helps the car pull a wheelie! What can I do to limit travel without affecting the launch? I think I am bottoming out my Lakewood 90/10's....

My setup is 90/10's stock k member and eibach front drag springs with about 1 coil cut off.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Limiter straps.

This is with 90/10's, wheel are 6-8" off the ground. 1.47 short time on that launch.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I am talking about! Looks good. So what type of limiter strap did you go with. Something custom or a kit?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
That's what I am talking about! Looks good. So what type of limiter strap did you go with. Something custom or a kit?
Thanks for the help.
No limiters. :D

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
90/10 struts are a little longer than what most guys run these days. They were pretty popular years ago, but since Strange single adjustables cost about the same amount, most people are buying them now. they are about 2" shorter than 90/10s.

Here's a pic of mine with strange adjustables, no limiters on these. They are set on 2, just a touch tighter then fully loose.

And a view of normal ride height:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info on the Strange struts, but I'll have to think about buying new struts. Comparing my front suspension travel to yours, I can see the difference.

·
Registered
142 Posts
More travel is not a problem unless you are trying to control a wheel stand. That extra travel over the Strage struts is usually a plus on DRs. Around here guys with Strange struts put their caster/camber plates under the shock tower to gain some travel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Limiting the travel will not help the car pull a wheelie at all. Take all the trevel away and the car won't get the front tires off the ground. On most cars I do that run around a high 1.4 60' I run as light of a front spring as I can and all the travel possible.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Once you get the car working travel is not as big of a deal as whay most think. Even with a radial.

I have about 4" in mine.

Just when 1.399 with mine tonight would have been a low 1.38 at anyother track.

Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
I notice a difference in front suspension travel and I am wondering what makes this differ so much from car to car. I am specifically talking about on the launch, where the wheel can hang down as the weight transfers to the rear of the car. My car cuts about a 1.48 60 foot but the darn front wheel hangs down so far (more than half) that is looks more than most other similar cars. I notice on many drag cars that the front wheels dont really drop too much at all. Plus this helps the car pull a wheelie! What can I do to limit travel without affecting the launch? I think I am bottoming out my Lakewood 90/10's....

My setup is 90/10's stock k member and eibach front drag springs with about 1 coil cut off.
Thanks
dont know how to post pics but my car does big whellies with about 3 3/4 of travel.i have a bracket that i made out of c channel that is welded to the frame above my a-arm.then i use the sway bar hole in the a-arm to bolt the bottom of the chain down to.u can ajust the chain links at the top where i drilled a hole and put a pin in.cheap and easy fix for me,all it took is a lil chain from the local hardware store and some time.the pic in my avater is when it about went on the back bumper,if the pic man would have waited about another half sec it would have been a good one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Once you get the car working travel is not as big of a deal as whay most think. Even with a radial.

I have about 4" in mine.

Just when 1.399 with mine tonight would have been a low 1.38 at anyother track.

Tim
Start putting some power to that thing and you'll be on the bumper with that travel. We are using about 3" of travel and a 1/2" can sometimes mean the difference between a good 60" and being on the bumper. So far we have been a 1.26 60" with the front tires and a 1.27 60" on the back tires this was done on 26-8.5" slicks at 3200#s. I sell some very good and simple travel limiters I make that have 1/4" adjustments with only pulling a pin. $75.00 email me for pictures [email protected]

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Oh I know about travel and bumpers. I help Booze with the HS car.

Everyone seems to think you need 6" of travel to get the car to leave on radials. Once you get the car close travel is not a big deal anymore.

Tim

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Start putting some power to that thing and you'll be on the bumper with that travel. We are using about 3" of travel and a 1/2" can sometimes mean the difference between a good 60" and being on the bumper. So far we have been a 1.26 60" with the front tires and a 1.27 60" on the back tires this was done on 26-8.5" slicks at 3200#s. I sell some very good and simple travel limiters I make that have 1/4" adjustments with only pulling a pin. $75.00 email me for pictures [email protected]

Guys these are the most simple to use limiters that i've ever seen or used.... one man can make an adjustment in the staging lanes by him self without the use of a jack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bI45zlWsI (travel limited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=936DAMq6KWo (no limiters... car was pedaled to come back down)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Limiting the travel will not help the car pull a wheelie at all. Take all the trevel away and the car won't get the front tires off the ground. On most cars I do that run around a high 1.4 60' I run as light of a front spring as I can and all the travel possible.
this is so true!! alot of guys have a misconception on this!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I am not looking to take all the travel away, just maybe an inch or so so the struts dont bottom out and the wheel does not hang so far out of the fender and look stupid. Would a small limit hurt performance? I do cut good 60 foots already for foot breaking. 1.48.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That's not true, BUT, ALTHOUGH, HOWEVER.... it's all a function of the power the car is making. lol

more power = less travel wanted

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have never done a mustang with 6"s of travel. I use about 3"s at full travel on most of my stuff. We have a car on 26-8.5s and also, a F3 blower car on 28-10.5s and work on a bigblock car with 29.5-10.5s that runs 5.0s in the 1/8th. Travel is a big deal on all of these cars. The 8.5 car is more touchy about the travel because it needs to leave with the wheels so high to work. Limiting the travel on your car by only one inch can hurt the performance. When you limit travel in the front end you are taking away stored energy that the springs have simple as that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes you are correct Martin. I do not have a wheelie problem but sometimes I wish I had a slight one! I think after hearing all of the comments I will leave her alone. I am going to launch with a transbrake next season which means I will be raising the launch RPM's. This will probably improve my 60 foot times and get the front wheels further off the ground anyway.
Don't mess with what works right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts