Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Captain Chaos
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I have a bad driver's side strut, however this one has me scratching my head.

I haven't been driving my car much, because I know the strut is out. Well yesterday I had to adjust my clutch cable, and I was driving it around the block to test it, and when I parked my car and got out I notice my driver's side front suspension was fully compressed, the fender was almost sitting on the tire.

So I put the jack back under it, jack it up and after about 15 seconds in the air it slowly decompresses, with a crackling sound. The closest sound I can think of is rust falling on a piece of sheet metal.

Could this be the strut, I don't know, hanging up somehow? Or am I into other issues, ball joint etc?

·
Captain Chaos
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Defective struts can bind and prevent the suspension from returning after jounce. I would put money on the strut being seized.
Thanks. I really didn't want to get into changing out the springs, as I like how my car sits.

I've had a rattle from the front end going over my bumpy local roads, and I've had it in the air and checked everything and nothing's loose, and it doesn't pull, so I had it narrowed down to the strut.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Read your first post wrong, you said the front decompressed with the car in the air, that makes sense that the strut is binding.

·
Captain Chaos
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, another quickie. I have MM Caster/Camber plates. Will changing the strut require me to get an alignment?

I've only ever done straight shocks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Ok, another quickie. I have MM Caster/Camber plates. Will changing the strut require me to get an alignment?

I've only ever done straight shocks.
As long as you don't mess with the C/C plate and mark WHERE the strut bolts to the spindle you won't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts