Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the extra thread but this is something I want to get started on tonight. I posted in the "On3 turbo questions" thread but it's going to get lost in there.

Here's my post ...

Hey guys, ran into my first serious problem with my install. What did you do for the driver side front O2 sensor. Mine comes straight down onto the tie rod. Looks like the only option I have is to tear it all back down and weld a new bung on the header. :livid:

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Any ideas short of a new bung like I said above?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Is this on a 99-04? The FF kit? that's what I had oN my 2002 and encountered the same issue. Take out the bushings that hold on your steering rack and flip em over. That will move the rack down a bit..maybe enough to clear. If not u can run a bump steer kit and put all the spacers above the tierod. That in conjunction with the bushing flip WILL clear it. Then again tho that would defeat the purpose of the bump kit. That's what I did.. might get enough clearance with just the bushing flip. Or just pull the header off and weld that bung shut and weld a new one so the sensor lays parallel with the tierod then u will have no worries. That's what I'd do if I had to do it again. Spend 50 at your exhaust shop and be done. Idk why on3 put that bung right there. Any more questions or help needed with install let me know.:)

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Have you screwed it in yet or just held it up like that? Mine is really close but doesnt interfere with the tie rod boot
Once you install the reccomended bump steer kit it should fit fine. Unless yours or my 02 sensors has been changed and mine is shorter somehow. I dont know if mine are oem or not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I'm at work and can't check in to often.

Beatdown, it's the 2nd gen ff kit for the 99-04 but I'm putting it on my '96. Just realized there's no sig with my car's info over here.

Ruffled, I tried it once but even with pulling down on the boot I can't stand the sensor up enough to get the threads straight.

I'll be able to give more info after 7pm when I'm home. One last thing tho. That's at full drop, there's no weight on the front at all.

Talk to you guys after 7pm.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I plugged my sensor in after kit install. Its possible...just a PITA. Take off that exhaust pipe that goes from that header over the a-arm. a shop could weld a new bung in as it now sits w/o any disassembly or w/o worrying about any debris getting in from drilling. Just put some Vaseline around the bit when drilling..prob solved. Pull that one pipe off tho if u are really concerned and kick the engine a few times to blow out any little shaving that MIGHT be in there. Tack weld that one shut and put in a new one.:)
FYI..I bought NGK sensors from NAPA. Not sure if the height is any diff tho. If u have the tierod loose from the spindle then the sensor should screw in. Not sure it will clear on the wire end tho w/o the bump steer kit. BUT with the bump steer, spacers are to be installed so the tierods are parallel with the a-arm..so it would not serve its actual purpose..but only rather to give clearance for that. It will provide enough tho with the bump kit installed as previously mentioned. I think it'd just be easier..and cheaper to weld in a new one quick..

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Yeah that pipe is close enough that the sensor would still read OK. And that plug that's in there will be OK. Just put some locktite on it. I may move mine next time I have to take it apart now that you pointed that out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guy.

I'm still putting everything back together so bumping the motor over isn't an option, at least not yet. The pipe that comes off that header is the cross over pipe. It goes right to the turbo. I was hoping to avoid a bump steer kit until after I was done to see if it was actually needed.

I think I'm going to unbolt the turbo bracket and the v band clamp on that side and see if I can get enough movement from the flex pipe coming from the passenger side to remove any shavings that might fall into the header. I have a mig welder so as long as I can get a drill in there I'll be doing it myself.

Seeing as we don't get sig pics here's a couple pics of what I'm working on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it in guys. It's tight but it seems like it'll survive.

I've been over thinking things way to much lately. A month and a half on the project while pulling 12 hr shifts at work is catching up to me. Good thing I'm close to being finished.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If that 02 is facing the ground. That is the worst possible location for it. Should never be below 3:00 or 9:00 position.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
Its close generally without the bump steer installed and once thats installed that really clears up any room thats needed for it to fit. I know the headers are already on the car but if you were to want something changed, I will well a new bung on if you wanted

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the off offer but it's in and looks to be alright for the time being. I'll throw a bump steer kit on in the near future and if I feel ambitious this winter I'll relocate the O2 then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts