Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 01 Cobra Coupe with only 3K miles. The car is in showroom condition. I live in Virginia and the law requires Virginia residents to mount a front license plate on their vehicles. Really don't want to put holes in the front bumper. Any ideas on how to mount a license plate up front without ruining the front bumper. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

01 Cobra Coupe
02 GT Coupe

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I know this won't help answer the "how-to" part, but I've heard of people running with the front tags stashed in their trunk, so if they ever get pulled over they can just have a friendly talk with the officer & not get in deep trouble over it. (some might say to put it on when you get home, yadda yadda,..).

Just a thought (if you really don't want to maim the front bumper).

:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
i'm about to replace my front bumper cover and i have no plans of drilling holes in the front of mine, I just plan to put it in the front winsheild when driving.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am in the same boat.. I am currently in NC so I am not worried about it, but in IL you have to have the front plate.

If this becomes a problem, I plan to make some "nice" home-made bracket coming from behind the bumber and extending out and clearing the bumper. I refuse to drill any holes in my bumper. I think I will spend some time on this and make it look good.

Until then, maybe you can try :D and make one!

Shawn

·
Registered
68 Posts
Toadman said:
Just bought an 01 Cobra Coupe with only 3K miles. The car is in showroom condition. I live in Virginia and the law requires Virginia residents to mount a front license plate on their vehicles. Really don't want to put holes in the front bumper. Any ideas on how to mount a license plate up front without ruining the front bumper. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Colorado requires a front plate as well. I haven't put one on my car since I bought it last July and nobody's given me any grief over it yet :)

I keep it in the trunk "just in case", but I'd hate to ruin the front-end of the car by putting 4 screw holes into the bumper...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Missouri (where I live) requires a front plate too. I didn't want to drill holes in my front bumper either, so I just rode around with the plate under my front passenger-side floor mat.

Unfortunately, I was pulled-over 3 times before I had driven my car 900 miles!!!
I BARELY talked my way out of a ticket the last time.
The next day, I went back to the dealer that I bought the car from and had them install the front bracket.
(I would've done it myself, but the pop-rivets that hold it on are larger-than-normal).

Some of you may get away without running a front plate, but I sure couldn't.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Toadman said:

01 Cobra Coupe
02 GT Coupe
I live in VA and keep mine on the left (drivers side) of the dash so it can be seen in the windshield. I've had the car since April 2001 and travel in three counties a day going to and from work and haven't been pulled over yet.
Robb

·
Registered
571 Posts
Someone on here mounted their plate in the opening of the front fascia from the back side, and I would imagen, that you could fabricate a u shaped bracket that you could mount to the bumper, have go along the edge of the opening and then back up to the front with a mounting surface for the plate, just make sure you do it in a way that the screws and bracket won't rub and scratch stuff, you might have to have a stud and then a nut that screws on from the front.

Wes

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been pulled over a few times on this, even though I had it in my window affixed (per the code in Calf. it has to be affixed and 12" to 48 " in the front). But I fit a profile (DWB):) You can probably get the code off the state vehicle code web site and show it to the officers who most probably haven't read it. But the worst is I work in Santa Monica and I park in a city run structure, there is a lady cop who rides up and down the structure while your working giving fix-it tickets. Must be a cheap source of income for the city. So I decided to drill the holes. It doesn't look as bad as I thought but I have seen where it gets attached under on a bracket or velcrow. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The double sided tape thing is a relatively good idea. I work in a body shop, The 3M stuff is very very stout stuff. Just make sure the two surfaces are clean and it "should" hold. I was not so lucky I got mine used and I have 4 holes in mine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i'm about to replace my front bumper cover and i have no plans of drilling holes in the front of mine, I just plan to put it in the front winsheild when driving.
Hope you don't ever get rear-ended. A metal edge to the neck is no fun!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been running with no front plate on the Cobra for over a year now. My bad weather daily driver doesn't have a front plate either. For a couple of years before that I didn't run a front plate on another car too. It really just depends on the area you live in whether or not you will be bugged about it. I would chance it for a while and put it on if you get pulled over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts