Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would be a better investment at this point for my car.

Auto-x and open track. Also still plan on drag racing the car with slicks but that is not what is most important.

Front:
I have 03/04 cobra struts, Saleen springs, PST poly front rebuild kit, new rack, MM steering shaft, HD endlinks on the swaybar, and CC Plates. Oh yea, M-2300-K stuff, 94/95 Spindles.

Rear, Monroe GP shocks (getting up there in age) BBK rear springs, MM XD Adjustable control arms, South side uppers (planning on getting OEM uppers if I do the PHB)

What would be the next step to take? I'm OK on brakes.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what the 03/04 Cobra ones are. So pick up some rear shocks as well?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The 03/04 cobra Bilstein are their HD versions.. the best you can get from them for a car. If there are better Bilsteins then please let me know, I need them

2K2GT, are you the guy that came down to Cleveland Tn. and got the shocks and transfer case for a jeep cherokee from me?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
In all honesty, getting new struts shocks in probably the way to go. If it were me, I'd look into the Koni Sports or the MM Sport Bils. I'm satisfied enough with my Koni's right now, but I've heard they ride rough compared to the Bils. I would do my homework on both and then choose.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Install matching rear Bilstein shocks. Then install the PHB and put new stock upper rear control arms in. That will give you the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will factory 03/04 Cobra IRS rear shocks work in my car too?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
You can't mix and match solid axle and IRS shocks. They are valved very differently due to the difference in motion ratio and unsprung masses of the two different suspensions.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I think the advice that Jack is giving you is good and remember they sell suspension stuff for a living, so he could easily try to get you to drop tons of coin in parts, instead he's outlining a good bang for the buck path.

Jack, do the HD's match the 03/04 fronts?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just wondering sort of question. Are the IRS and soild axle shocks the same external sizes and only differer in valving? Or length and such also different?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
There are several versions of Bilstein solid axle HD rear shocks, that could be used with the 03/04 Ford Cobra front struts (hardtop only 2R3Z-18124-AA). You don't want to use the convertible struts, they are considerably softer (2R3Z-18124-BA).

B46-2148-H0 1st generation 87-93 shock. Not a good match.
B46-2148-H1 2nd generation 87-93 shock. Good match.
BE5-6418-H0 1st generation 94-04 shock. Good match.

The IRS shocks use a larger bolt in the bottom eyelet and have different extended and compressed lengths, than the SA shocks. IOW, there is no way to swap them with solid axle shocks.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up some 02 GT factory uppers with less than 30k on them.

Next up shockies then PHB. Thanks Jack. I'll go through my local MM dealer for the parts.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, Bolted on a brand new set of the 94-04 HD's yesterday. Ordering a panhard bar through my MM dealer monday. Woot woot! Can't wait to see how this runs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Install matching rear Bilstein shocks. Then install the PHB and put new stock upper rear control arms in. That will give you the best bang for the buck.
why new stock uppers? I've got some Steeda Lowers and I've toyed with trying to grab a set of FMS uppers, but wouldn't that induce more bind into the rear upon compression?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Anything stiffer than stock will cause more binding. The stock ones will still cause some binding, but like Jack said, its the best "bang for the buck" not the best possible solution.

If you are thinking of doing the same thing, pass on the FMS upper and put those toward new lowers or a torque arm or something else.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I won't be running the stock uppers for to long. AFter the PHB install i'm going to try and swing a torque arm too.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You will be in good company then. The MM TA is a good product with good support and lots of other people run them as well so if you run into any issues you won't have to look far for answers or support. I'm running the 5 Link II but if I wouldn't have gotten a great deal on that system, I'd be running Maximum Motorsports setup.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts