Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running stock EVERYTHING brake wise, on the front of my drag car. I’ve heard of losing a bunch of weight, and it’s rotational, not static. I never really researched much of it, due to some astronomical pricing. I’d like to retain a stock feel, and my current wheels figment, so I can’t go over size or anything crazy. What do you recommend or do you even recommend price vs weight savings? I’m currently at 3000lbs without driver.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
It all depends on the set up. I switched over a customers 65 Mustang from 4 wheel drum brakes to 4 wheel disc brakes, saved about 60 lbs total. This was on a high 9 second car. Do you know how much it shaved off the ET? Zip, Zero, Zilch. On the plus side slowing the car down was not scary anymore. Lol.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Brakes are on my “to do” list this winter for several reasons. As it turns out the PBR stock calipers on 99-04’s are aluminum and weight is not too bad. It’s the stock rotors in the front that are heavy. Then of course there are the stock rears which don’t weigh much because they are so tiny and don’t hold for crap. In my learning curve with the C4 this season, the more rpms I can bring up on the footbrake, the better the 60’ and therefore the better the ET. Right now can’t seem to hold the car much above 2200 without pushing through the beams. So I want to make the brakes hold better, be lighter, and not have much if any residual bind. And yes, the options are pricey.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve got the same front calipers, there’s hardly any weight there, maybe just swap out to a drilled/slotted lighter weight rotor?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I’ve got the same front calipers, there’s hardly any weight there, maybe just swap out to a drilled/slotted lighter weight rotor?
I have some drilled and slotted rotors that I bought when I built the car 6 or 7 years ago. Think they are Powerstop. Very heavy. Would love to find a single disc, not vented that would work with stock calipers, but no luck so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts