Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the advice of several people here that said if you torque down your lower to the heads @ 25ft/lbs (what I have always done), you will most likely experience water in your oil as a result of the heads lifting off the cylinder. Although I don't doubt this one bit, but unfortunitely, the 18ft/lbs (what I went) was not enough to seal the front and back where the lower manifild contacts the block and I have blown a massive amount of oil everywhere. I am going to pull the lower off and re-seal the front and back, and go 20-21 ft/lbs this time and see what that does.

Just thought I would relay my experiences thus far.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used All the right stuff? something like that. YOu know the quick setup stuff (very sticky). Then i torqued my lower to 15 ft.lbs, running through the sequence approximatley 4 times till they were equal. I never had a problem. Dont boubt the lifting of the heads, it can happen........ More torque shouldnt really solve your problem. Is your pcv working? Maybe too much crank pressure.

Matt

·
Registered
451 Posts
Man..

I'm a bit worried. I torqued my Holely SystemMax II down to 21-22 ft-lbs with the AFR 185s. I have no problems so far, from what I can tell. I'm changing oil again on Friday.

Ian

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MGolden said:
I used All the right stuff? something like that. YOu know the quick setup stuff (very sticky). Then i torqued my lower to 15 ft.lbs, running through the sequence approximatley 4 times till they were equal. I never had a problem. Dont boubt the lifting of the heads, it can happen........ More torque shouldnt really solve your problem. Is your pcv working? Maybe too much crank pressure.

Matt
I went through them 4 times as well until they were all at 18 each time.

I think this may be related to the fact that this is a new engine and I am presently getting some blow by (unti the rings get seated properly.) On top of that, this is a 347 and I believe the cylider pressures are quite abit higher than they would normally be.
I DID have the PCV valve in (vented to a catch can; not back into the upper. The catch can had nothing collected in it) but I removed it and now I am just running a copper elbow into the PCV valve hole and a hose from that to the catch can.

I think that the rings are seated now (not getting much smoke from the pipes- jsut the stuff that is burning from leaking down onto the headers) so after I change and re-seal the lower, I am hoping that it will take care of it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ive done 18ft/lbs many times even on a new motor and have never had a problem. i ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use ultra copper permatex. run a 1/4" bead along the block on both ends then on the lower intake on both ends. next i let it sit 6-8 minutes. then set the lower on and hand tighten all bolts. let it sit like this untorqued for at least 8 hours or so. i usually do overnight. then i go 2-3 passes on all the bolts at maybe 8 ft/lbs. then 2-3 passes at 13 ft/lbs. then 6-8 passes at 18ft/lbs. ive never once had a problem with leaking head gaskets(other than tuning problems) or lower intake leaks.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I did 22ft/lbs of my intake...anything less and it would leak coolant. I would toque the lower then pull the valve covers and then retorque the heads. Put everything together, go for a short drive come back and retorque the heads again.

Troy

·
Registered
646 Posts
you need more rtv, not more torque.
stay at 18 ft/lb, but make the bead of rtv thicker along the end rails.

-pete

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
86style said:
you need more rtv, not more torque.
stay at 18 ft/lb, but make the bead of rtv thicker along the end rails.

-pete
Yea, that is a possiblilty.

I admit that i didn't use as much RTV this time, but I still thought it was enough. I had an oil pump shaft twist like a pretzel cause of excess RTV that fell off and clogged the oil pump. When the oil pump seized, the shaft that was still spinning twisted.

I didn't ahve time to finisf the car last night, but I will put it back together on friday and when I do I'll make sure there is sufficient RTV.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
First off I doubt RTV locked your oil pump up....that stuff is too soft to even remotely lock up the OP, it can clog oil passages though.

I have always used 22-24ft/lbs on my lowers for years now and I've built many, many small fords... the trick is to get the RTV nice and thick and set the intake on perfectly EVEN. use a stud at opposite corners of the heads to drop the intake on perfectly and then pull them out and put in your bolts. If the heads are torqued properly and the intake is installed correctly then you will not lift those heads!

·
Registered
556 Posts
SSKiller said:
the trick is to get the RTV nice and thick and set the intake on perfectly EVEN. use a stud at opposite corners of the heads to drop the intake on perfectly and then pull them out and put in your bolts.

i do this also

·
Registered
250 Posts
Use the black rtv, I went 20lbs with a systemax and no leaks at all. Clean your **** up good with laquer thinner before you put it on and let it set up a couple day's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts