Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to adapt the longer FR500C tie rod end (M 3130-R) to a SN95 front suspension??

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a street car and I don't like the idea of running an un-sealed heim joint.
The 3130 is a sealed tie rod. It is just an inch longer but the question is will it fit the spindle and thread into the rack?

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would see if you can find the diameter and thread pitch of the inner tie rods of your car and a S197 car to see if they are the same. I am not sure how you would find out it they would fit the spingle or not though.

Honestly I wouldnt worry about running Hiem joints on a street car. I have seen hundreds of teflon lined shperical bearings (same thing as a hiem joint) last a very very long time on helicopters before needing to be replaced. I am actually running a MM bumpsteer kit on my stang with zero issues.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Darkside. I might be making this more of an issue than it's worth but for the cost of a cheap stock rod end for a 197 I can at least find out if it would be compatible. I appreciate your advice on the MM kit and it's durability.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You can also get rod-end covers/dust boots for the ones you have, but again, I wouldn't worry about it. I've got several years of track and street driving on mine with no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Has anyone tried to adapt the longer FR500C tie rod end (M 3130-R) to a SN95 front suspension??
I would think that's what they were made for.

And they bothered to make them when they had Rod End kits already.

If a rod end snaps and causes an accident, I think the rod end company would say they never authorized them for that usage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts