Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok after great debate i have come to the conclusion that you can use the sn95 e brake handle in your fox body and IT IS different from the fox handle!! When you use the sn95 handle it allows you to manually self adjust the tension on the e brake calbles from inside the car unlike the e brake handle mod in the ford kits(I bet they did not want to supply another part in the kit to try to keep the costs down). I did not want to crawl under the car to adjust the e brake !!! what year is this 1900?
So anyway you can manually set the spring adjuster to adjust the tension on the brake cables to what you want! right at the e brake handle. Set the adjuster to maximum cable length by removing the self adjust stopper and pull the cable out to max then reinstall the adjust stopper. Install handle in the car and connect both cables to the bracket that connects to the self adjuster cable. Now remove the adjuster stopper and the spring will take up the slack in the brake cables and stop there. then reinstall the self adjust stopper. when the self adjust stopper is placed on the handle it will not allow the self adjuster to work. It is set and will not move. so when your cables stretch over time just remove the adjuster stopper it will ratchet a bit then reinstall the stopper and you are good to go. No dragging brakes like some people say! It only adjusts when you want it to!!!!!!! Please go try this yourself! it works. Just make sure the handle looks like the one in the picture which is a 1994 disc brake car. I have seen a 1998 cobra handle that looks like the fox handle and does not have the stoppper installed so check them over carefully. The fox handle is different, as the self adjuster is always working which would cause problems with the disc brake setup. if you have a fox handle modify as per fords instructions.
That is all.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Cool info - THANKS!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

BTW, this installed properly without any clearance problems around the console? Just bolt in and...adjust? ;)
No clearance problems here. It is almost Identical except for the stopper bracket.

·
The OASIS Guy
6,535 Posts
you kind of confused me about the adjustment process. however i plan to give this a shot in my 93 with rear disc brakes. mine drag.... its very annoying

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've seen that plate on some other post. I thought it was part of Ford recall 00S37 for 1994-2001 Mustangs involving the parking brake allowing the car to move when the brake was engaged.

The recall shows:

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE PARKING BRAKE CONTROL AND INSTALL A PLATE OR OVER-BRACKET TO THE CONTROL TO LOCK THE SELF ADJUST MECHANISM IN POSITION FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENT.

Regardless of the recall and although the tack weld mod is simple enough, if it works the way you say I wonder if the bracket will fit any Fox handle as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've seen that plate on some other post. I thought it was part of Ford recall 00S37 for 1994-2001 Mustangs involving the parking brake allowing the car to move when the brake was engaged.

The recall shows:

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE PARKING BRAKE CONTROL AND INSTALL A PLATE OR OVER-BRACKET TO THE CONTROL TO LOCK THE SELF ADJUST MECHANISM IN POSITION FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENT.

Regardless of the recall and although the tack weld mod is simple enough, if it works the way you say I wonder if the bracket will fit any Fox handle as well.
Ok i bet this one was modified as i have seen other handles that do not have that lock in place. It looks like someone cut off the ratchet adjuster at the top and then put the lock on the handle. either way this makes it manually adjustable, just like welding the paw and installing an adjustable cable.
I will call ford tomorrow and find out the part number of the bracket.
here is the recall
Ford Motor Company

Models: Ford Mustang Years: 1994-2001

Number Involved: 434,000

Dates of Manufacture: October 1993 - October 2000

Defect: On certain Mustang cars equipped with manual transmissions, if the vehicle is parked with the parking brake not fully applied and not in first gear, the vehicle could roll on some grades. This could result inunintended vehicle movement and a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Dealers will modify the parking brake control and install a plate, or over-bracket, to the control to lock the self adjust mechanism in position following adjustment. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began on Nov. 27, 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at 1-800-392-3673.

[NHTSA Recall No. 00V349/Ford Recall No. 00S37]

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over bracket kit part number is:
1R3Z2A753BA
price up here in the great white north is 17.00 and i am sure in the usa it will be 8.00. We always get screwed!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
So to adjust then, does the center console have to be removed to remove the plate?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
So what is the bracket kit going to do,allow an adjustment.And also are you guys saying that kit would fit a 92 stock mustang handle?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what is the bracket kit going to do,allow an adjustment.And also are you guys saying that kit would fit a 92 stock mustang handle?
i am saying a 1994-2000 handle with the bracket kit will work. I have not modified my fox handle but i am sure if you modify it to look like the above picture and installed the over bracket on, it would, but i have not tryed that. I am using a 1994 with the over bracket. the over bracket just locks the adjustment paw just like welding it. All you do is remove the overbracket and the tensioner will take up the slack in the e brake cables. then place the overbracket back on so it locks out the autotensioner. yes the console has to be out to adjust.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I just finished my rear disc conversion, ad need to deal withthe parking brake issue.

Does anyone have pix of this installed in a fox??

Thanks

-Rich

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I finished my 5-lug/4-wheel disc swap last December and I've still got to deal with the parking brake issue as well :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Here it is November and I still haven't dealt with my eBrake situation but at least I got my new speedometer in yesterday :joy: .

Let me see if I've got this information straight:

1. Get an eBrake handle from a 1994-2000 Mustang.

2. Get Over bracket kit part number is:1R3Z2A753BA

Is this really all there is to it or am I missing something?

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I have no parking brake in my Fox with Cobra rear disks as well

I was thinking of picking up a Cobra leather handle but unsure if it would fit the stock console properly. Anyone have pics?

·
USAF retired
9,034 Posts
I put mach/cobra disks on my LX. I used the fox handle without any kind of mods, the fox short cable from the E brake handle, the fox 1 cable to 2 adapter, SN cables and trans tunnel mount, and it's worked fine for over 4 years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I install a leather e brake handle in my 91 a couple of weeks ago. I got my handle off e bay for about $15 and it is in pretty good shape with a few small scratches in the leather. I found that the leather handle that I put in was exactly like the one I took out except for the leather (the one I put in did not have the recall peice on it and I am still running drums in the rear so for now I did not modify it). I looks great installed and fit just like the factory one. Here are some pics.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts