Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I have a pair of PVC Leather seats in my '92 Mustang that I purchased off of eBay some 5-6 years ago. Needed a pair to pass inspection when I first bought the car due to the notorious driver side "lean." Bought these in a hurry, and 6 years ago, being the fox/car illiterate guy I was, bought these off of eBay. I can't even find these on eBay anymore... but that's neither here nor there.

With these seats, I have noticed the following:
- In the most upright position of these seats (they recline), they still have a large recline angle to them. With my back fully touching the rear of the seat, I can't reach the shifter and it's tough to see over the steering wheel.
- After driving the fox for a bit i tend to develop some back pains.
-I also autocrossed for the first time last month, and I moved all over the place with these seats.

I took some angle measurements (relative to vertical being 0 deg).
- My seats are reclined ~33 deg in their most upright position.
- Engaging the pull forward lever, I positioned the seat to what feels like the most comfortable. This occurred at about a recline of 25 deg.
- For comparison purposes, the recline in my daily driver (2013 Focus) is ~23 deg.

When looking at some reclining seats, such as the Corbeau A4, angles like the ones above are not listed (Corbeau A4 Racing Seat|Free Shipping!). If I take a look at the Corbeau fixed back seats (Corbeau Clubman Racing Seat|Pair Ships Free!) a reclining angle of 65 deg is mentioned.

To get to my question... Is there anything I can do short of buying new seats? And, if I were to buy new seats, what's the easiest way to find out what is a good combination of comfort and keeping me in my place? I doubt there is somewhere that i can "sit in each chair" to try them out.

Here are my seats:

Thank you for your input!

·
Super Moderator
27,652 Posts
Looks like the entire seat is tilted back. Can you lower or cut the front mounts?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Without seeing how the seats are mounted it's tough to tell you if there's anything that can be done to reduce the rearward lean. I concur with MFE in that it looks like the whole seat is leaned back - not just the seat back, but the lower cushion looks quite a bit higher in the front than at the back.

When I was shopping for seats I drove a few hours each way to get to a couple of shops that carried Corbeau and Sparco seats so that I could sit in them. I wasn't able to find any place remotely close to me that had Recaro or Cobra seats (or any other brand I might have been interested in), so I narrowed my choices to Corbeau and Sparco. I didn't want to buy something without having a chance to sit in it first. (Both of the shops in question are in the DC area - Sterling and Lorton, VA - so you could conceivably spend a day seat shopping from wherever you are in western MD.)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the entire seat is tilted back. Can you lower or cut the front mounts?
Great thought! I didn't even think about that. I ended up adding 1.5" spacers to the rear of the seat. Took it for a test drive and what a world of a difference! I can actually see my fuel gauge without having to move forward LOL

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts