Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the prices of foxbodys go up and up. Now with many hitting the auction block at Barret Jackson, and seemingly driving the private sale prices up, is this just the beginning? With my father's generation paying top dollar to get their 70's muscle cars back it seems like our turn is right around the corner. So has the price for foxbody cars peaked, or are we just now seeing the tip of the iceberg?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It's hard to say. It seems that every generation of people is willing to pay more an more for the cars they were used to seeing when they grew up. 80's BMW and Mercedes cars used to be nearly free but are now starting to climb steadily. It's no longer about how well they were built, their bang for the buck, etc., but almost more about sentiment. I've seen it with late 70s-early 90s broncos, Gen 1 lightnings, Panteras, even imports. the late 80's mid 90's japanese cars are skyrocketing. When my generation ages enough to afford mid-life crises, you're going to see C5 vettes, F-bodies and SN-95 GT's going for a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Foxbody Mustangs have been fairly cheap on The left coast , tho they are coming up in price .
Used to get a 4 cylinder car for 500 bucks in very good condition .
Now closer to 2500 and not near as nice .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Code:
The cycle will continue with fox body Mustangs and accelerate as the owners of the 1980's and 1990's get into their 50's, 60's and 70's. 5.0 engine will last for a 100 years. Forget auction prices this is supply (produced, fixed, limited, and forever disintegrating) and demand (growing with age, declining with death).

I am calling it at 3% appreciation per year until we are dead. I'll be back in 20 years to comment. :) A few Barrett Jackson auction prices do not make a trend. That is an emotionally charged buying environment. This trend will most likely disappear with millennial born. Studies are showing they could care less about cars.

Mustang LX 5.0
Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z
Corvette ZR1
Buick Grand National GNX
Pontiac Firebird Formula
Chevrolet K-5 Blazer
Oldsmobile Toronado
Cadillac Allante...to name a few

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fox prices will trend up for a bit, level out, then tick up again. When you buy an older car(especially muscle cars) it's because of emotion and nastalgia. Most people who buy at Mecum and Barrett Jackson go there for a specific car. They are at a point in their lives when they can correct the, "I'd like to have that one back" or the, "I always wanted one" times in their earlier life. It's been said many times and I truly believe the fox is our generations 69 camaro. It was one of the most popular cars of its time and evokes memories and emotions in people that few other cars can do. That's what makes them special and sought after. I own a fox mustang and it's my most prized possession. I love that car more than anything, and have receipts to prove it. The reason is because I remember them back in the day and how much I wanted one; How cool the kids were who had them. Scurvey was correct, millennials could care less about cars. But, they aren't the middle aged guys trying to recapture their youth like we are. And there are a lot of us and will be for quite some time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ford made too many of them for any significant price increases.
I agree with this, about 250,000 per year they were manufactured from what I remember. Special vehicles like an SVO, 93 Cobra or Cobra R will bring the bigger money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the prices were going to come up they would have already.

Restored 60s muscle cars have been worth more than a new car since the late 80s, when they were only a little over 20 years old.

The market isn't there for 80s cars like it was for the 50s and 60s. Baby boomers have more of a connection to cars than the gen X'ers do. They also had/have more disposal income than the later generations.

Let's be honest fox bodies don't have panache of older muscle cars. Besides the drivetrain the rest of the car is rather mundane. They don't have any interesting lines and look like your typical 80s car. Look at the bright side, at least they are worth as much as a c4 corvette with all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've noticed this over the last few years. Used to be able to find a nice V8 foxbody for $2500, now you're lucky to find a nice one for 4-5k. Getting harder to find too. Spent 2 years looking for an 82 T-Top that was less than 6k, and eventually had to settle on my newedge GT.

Side note, somebody mentioned the SN-95's skyrocketing eventually. I don't know why anybody would pay money for those butt-ugly things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
These are the '69 Camaros of our generation. Gen X'ers will pay for these cars. Don't underestimate the emotion and respect that the 5.0 garnishes in that age group. This is only the beginning.

If the prices were going to come up they would have already.

The market isn't there for 80s cars like it was for the 50s and 60s. Baby boomers have more of a connection to cars than the gen X'ers do. They also had/have more disposal income than the later generations.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Let's be honest fox bodies don't have panache of older muscle cars.

I disagree, and would counter that the Fox has more panache than the older cars. I think the fox has very interesting lines and that as far as Mustangs go, they are very unique! Looks are subjective obviously, but I have found that the longer I have owned Mustangs the more and more I am drawn to the fox body cars. It's actually odd to me that I haven't bought one yet. The car has a cult like following. I think clean examples of the car will continue to go up in price, and that entry level POS cars will still bring more than other gens in similar conditions in the years to come.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts