Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 89' Gt. I'm wondering if it is possible to swap in an automatic switch for the headlights. I have always had a problem remembering to turn my headlights off, especially after having driven a car with automatic lights. Is there any way to swap in the sensor and switch from a lincoln of some year or any other ford car with automatic lights that would help alleviate this issue for me? I just killed my battery last night. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Since most cars with automatic lights have them controlled thru the body control module or a lighting module like most Lincolns I'm not sure you could make it work & I'm not familiar with any kind of aftermarket piece that could put a time delay on them. If your main concern was just about leaving them on after shutting the car off you could change the constant power wire to the headlight switch to key on power that way you don't have to deal with killing your battery. Hope this helps

·
Registered
198 Posts
well if you cant remember your lights are on at night...well I guess thats a whole other issue, but why don't you just simply look. Maybe you could hook up a LED indicator in dash that will light up when you turn you light switch on that way u will know they are or aren't on

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Simple relay triggered by a source that that's hot with ignition on --- use it to control the headlights. That way if you leave them on, they go off when you turn the car off, but leave the parking lights on as a reminder. Most European cars were wired that way back in the day....

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Yup -- mine has a buzzer AND relay wired headlights.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
The factory fox body door chime doesn't work? Mine works-and when I leave the lights on, the door chime reminds me. Both my '92 and my '93 are like this. I think many folks hate the "gonger" but I have learned that it's actually useful.

A relay triggered by the ignition switch would be the simplest way.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Relay trigged by a sensor in light with the headlight switch probably the easiest way.

But I'm stumped how you can't remember to turn on the lights in a Fox at night? The dash would be completely black. Hard to not notice that.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The factory fox body door chime doesn't work? Mine works-and when I leave the lights on, the door chime reminds me. Both my '92 and my '93 are like this. I think many folks hate the "gonger" but I have learned that it's actually useful.

A relay triggered by the ignition switch would be the simplest way.
Mine still works on my 86 and that thing is annoying as all get out but it does it's job..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts