Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first fox with a V1 sc trim and I finally got it down to the track Friday and it ran very well, (12.23 @ 117) and I noticed the boost was a little lower than I expected (6lbs I think) but still acceptable. The Intake air temps were kind of high, like 200. Are these readings normal? The air quality at the track was really crappy and it was hot and muggy. Like 88'f and 70% humidity. Should I be trying to spray meth or intercool it someway or am I just overthinking it? tossing around the idea of maybe a Mr freeze or snow stage 1 only because I have such a basic setup. Let me know what everyone else is doing. Just run it and adjust timing accordingly or do I have an issue? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
First off this is my first fox with a V1 sc trim and I finally got it down to the track Friday and it ran very well, (12.23 @ 117) and I noticed the boost was a little lower than I expected (6lbs I think) but still acceptable. The Intake air temps were kind of high, like 200. Are these readings normal? The air quality at the track was really crappy and it was hot and muggy. Like 88'f and 70% humidity. Should I be trying to spray meth or intercool it someway or am I just overthinking it? tossing around the idea of maybe a Mr freeze or snow stage 1 only because I have such a basic setup. Let me know what everyone else is doing. Just run it and adjust timing accordingly or do I have an issue? Thanks in advance!!
First of all, we need to know the pulley combo as well as engine mods such as heads, headers, intake, camshaft. These all can effect boost...its a measure of restriction. A higher flowing set of heads will make less boost but more power with the same pulley setup.

Yes, you need to cool the charge somehow. Methanol is easiest, but its up to your tuner. How are you tuning the car? With the fox you really only have an option of the power cooler, or a convoluted a2a setup. Or you can flip the intake. Most use methanol though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock shortblock, ported gt40s, cobra upper, E cam, longtubes, 7.65 crank and 3.33 upper pulley. I'm not so much worried about the boost but more so on if my air temps are high or normal? I know it reads it in the intake near the engine coolant track. I'm tunning it with a pms4. Would a simple mr freeze work good or should I go with the snow kit? I also looked at these Air/Water IC
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stock shortblock, ported gt40s, cobra upper, E cam, longtubes, 7.65 crank and 3.33 upper pulley. I'm not so much worried about the boost but more so on if my air temps are high or normal? I know it reads it in the intake near the engine coolant track. I'm tunning it with a pms4. Would a simple mr freeze work good or should I go with the snow kit? I also looked at these Air/Water IC
Thanks
If youre gonna go with a meth kit, get a progressive controller and dual nozzle setup. Put one pre blower and a larger one post blower. The intake temps are normal for a non-intercooled setup from what I have seen.

Do you mean 6.75 pulley? with that pulley combo I was seeing 5-6psi with my gt40x, edelbrock upper, longtube combo. If you want more boost, try a 3.12, should be safe for a stock block. I'm running a 2.95 but its through a power cooler so there is some boost loss, and I'm seeing 11psi.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been looking at the CXRacing FMIC for the Vortech Foxbody cars. Seems nice but I haven't seen any reviews of the kit and if the gains with it are any better or safer thank meth.
With so many turns and bends your gonna lose some pressure in just the piping there. Not to mention that CX's cores just arent up to the task here. I can look and try to find it again but Ive seen one CXRacing kit loose 5psi from previous boost levels on the same setup! User swapped to a treadstone core and gained 3-4psi back.

I lucked out and got a deal on an aftercooler setup and I'm happy with it. Always trying to improve, but happy.

Methanol will never be as good by itself as an intercooler, its more of a helping aid for an inefficient intercooler.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With so many turns and bends your gonna lose some pressure in just the piping there. Not to mention that CX's cores just arent up to the task here. I can look and try to find it again but Ive seen one CXRacing kit loose 5psi from previous boost levels on the same setup! User swapped to a treadstone core and gained 3-4psi back.

I lucked out and got a deal on an aftercooler setup and I'm happy with it. Always trying to improve, but happy.

Methanol will never be as good by itself as an intercooler, its more of a helping aid for an inefficient intercooler.
Good to know. I wasn't sure if the IC was able to flow as well as others, but I've been leaning towards methods myself.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If youre gonna go with a meth kit, get a progressive controller and dual nozzle setup. Put one pre blower and a larger one post blower. The intake temps are normal for a non-intercooled setup from what I have seen.

Do you mean 6.75 pulley? with that pulley combo I was seeing 5-6psi with my gt40x, edelbrock upper, longtube combo. If you want more boost, try a 3.12, should be safe for a stock block. I'm running a 2.95 but its through a power cooler so there is some boost loss, and I'm seeing 11psi.
It's a Procharger crank pulley, 7.65" its great because it is a little smaller than the 8" Vortech and i didn't deal with the water pump clearance issues.

I've also been toying with the idea of the CX racing FMIC kit. Someone did a write up on one and they said it did drop pressures a few PSI but i'm sure i could deal with that for lower temps, and maybe a different intercooler also.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more i keep looking at all those pipes i wonder how many F bombs ill throw out trying to jam all that crap in there lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have the cxracing kit, I have to say I lost 2lb of pressure, which is about average for a fmic... 2.95 upper 6.87 lower pulley the kit is really not hard to install my 18 yr son did most of it with me helping ..remove the right fender & fender liner the bumper min cutting of the bumper support.. I am also adding a snow performance meth kit to increase some timing myself. if i remember right the car did 502 +/- rwhp and 465 rwtq +/-. I am in the process of swapping to a Built C4 and adding the meth kit along . ill see if i can post some pictures in a few. 331 H/c/i/e... I did relocate the ACT/Iat senor about 7 inches before the throttle body in the piping.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the cxracing kit, I have to say I lost 2lb of pressure, which is about average for a fmic... 2.95 upper 6.87 lower pulley the kit is really not hard to install my 18 yr son did most of it with me helping ..remove the right fender & fender liner the bumper min cutting of the bumper support.. I am also adding a snow performance meth kit to increase some timing myself. if i remember right the car did 502 +/- rwhp and 465 rwtq +/-. I am in the process of swapping to a Built C4 and adding the meth kit along . ill see if i can post some pictures in a few. 331 H/c/i/e... I did relocate the ACT/Iat senor about 7 inches before the throttle body in the piping.
This is great news, i think i might go ahead and get this when i have more down time. I ordered the CX racing supercharger inlet pipe now so that this will all work together down the road. i also have a 3" upper pulley i can switch too if my boost still isn't where i want it after the FMIC. I'm thinking the boost pipe ought to help out a lot as far as boost pressure goes. I also think i might put my 160 thermostat back in to lower my overall engine coolant temps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts