Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’m in the research stage of doing a centri supercharged Fox set-up. I’ve been a Modular turbo guy for over 10 years now and I’m looking to do something different. Looking for a high HP pump gas car so I’m looking to do a 427. In theory, I figure at 10 PSI it could put out 1000fwhp, 15 PSI would yield 1200fwhp. The goal is to do this with 93 pump gas.

I’ve never really looked into the supercharged world for a Fox before. I figured there would be some nice intercooled kits that would bolt right up to a 5.0 and could be tweaked a bit to fit the taller deck 351W block. But I’m finding that without deleting the a/c and-or p/s, there’s not much available. Vortech told me that I wouldn’t really need an intercooler. Well, I don’t feel too comfortable without one.

So the two main issues I’ve run into are modifying the bracket to allow the blower to bolt up to the passenger side of the 351W and how to intercool it. I prefer to run the Procharger but it seems much more difficult to modify it for the 351. At the same time, I’m not sure if the outlet of these blowers could be made to be in a decent position to head to an intercooler. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
With a vortech passenger side kit you could presumably clock the outlet, chop off the existing curved outlet and weld a straight piece on that would dump facing down into an intercooler with the ports on the same side. It might end up being a bit crazy with the piping at that point and I'm not sure if there is even room with a 351, I've never been down that road. Best of luck and hopefully some of the wiser members have some ideas for you. Cheers

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I'm not familiar with the outlet on these units. I suppose that could work. I need to call Procharger. I stumbled across a pic on their site where the blower is to the right of the a/c compressor. The one I originally saw on their site has the blower right where the a/c compressor used to be. So there seems to be different versions.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Procharger has the two kits-one that deletes the a/c and one that doesn't (but you have to relocate the battery with this one). The issue with the kit that retains the a/c will be a bracket that moves the blower in towards the engine. So that is kind of a road block with the Procharger.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm currently building a 408 with a YSi and plan to keep PS and AC. The intercooler route looks to be a nightmare with all the piping as mentioned above, so I'm leaning towards meth/water injection since the car won't be daily driven.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm also thinking about doing the Meth/water injection in place of an intercooler. Seems more simple in this situation. Ditching an interocoler does have some advantages-less weight, less boost to make the same power, less piping, and probably less cost. Mine is a street car but just a weekend type deal-not a DD.

BTW, what are you doing to lower the YSI so it clears the hood?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know if I have to yet. The previous owner mocked it up on his 393w and didn't have any clearance issues from the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Well I guess maybe the k-member is lowered and/or lower motor mounts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Could be. Might also depend on the bracket used for the head unit. If I have to space the K-member that's not a deal breaker, plus the engine mounts I'm using are supposed to be a little lower than stock height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. Yeah the convertible mounts are a little lower. As far as Vortech told me, they only hvae one bracket for that side. I have come across places that may make other ones specifically for the 351W swap in a Fox.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't seen one for the passenger side. I've been searching for a bit but maybe I missed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts