Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glad the industry was good to him and he can retire.
This hobby business gets smaller by the year as technology improves.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Blacksmiths
My grandfather was the son of a blacksmith. He used the knowledge of the trade to make custom tools to work on Model T's. He moved from Kentucky to Boston where he could get a job as a mechanic and make a new life in the big city. He was a mechanic for 70 years; in his 80s he was still rebuilding alternators and starters for Boston Cab company. He helped me replace the transmission in my 1st car over the phone. He could visualize everything under there in his head and told me what to do step by step. Well, that and he inspired me to be a mechanic, though I was lucky enough to work my way through a mechanical engineering degree - easier on the knuckles I suppose. Among the many things I got from him, besides knowledge and many tools (including many customs he welded up) were a collection of old spark plugs. The one on the lower left has a wooden insulator painted green. I laugh every time a new "multi-electrode" spark plug is popularized.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Blacksmiths. Saddle makers. Buggy makers. Leather workers. Craftsmen all. Faced this same basic problem when the automobile came along. There is a shift happening, for better or worse.
So you figure Race Winning Brands, Holley, and Edelbrock/Comp will save the industry? That's the shift...and they aren't going to teach the young guys how to do squat. Corporations don't work that way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
So you figure Race Winning Brands, Holley, and Edelbrock/Comp will save the industry? That's the shift...and they aren't going to teach the young guys how to do squat. Corporations don't work that way.

Good luck.
What? What are you saying? Where did you get that from what I wrote? You misunderstand what I was saying. I was saying that many support businesses for the mode of transportation in the 1900's closed up or changed what they do. Some continued but most ended up closed for one reason or another. Market changed. The market is changing. That's all. Knowledge will be lost sadly. The one constant is change.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The market is not changing. Out government is trying to force a change. For the most part it is not working. There is no clamor for electric vehicles....or Smart cars.

For hot rodding, as the older guys sell, or fade away, there is no one to teach the younger guys, who grew up with everything they could want available for a phone call. Almost none of them know haw to do anything other than bolt parts on. Add that to the corporates culture that has decided to rape this industry and you don't have a lack of demand, you have a lack of innovation.

Except Holley. Holley is doing some phenomenal stuff with fuel injection systems.

The paradigm shift will come when the Federal Government outlaws the aftermarket performance industry, and all performance modifications...and that may well be far sooner than any of us think.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
That is an absurd take. Haha
Old guys have the hardest time with change management I suppose.
It not just old-timers. Most people are sure their "reality" is absolute, when it's nothing more than a summary of thier life's biases. Either that or there are 350 million realities in this country? Nothing new, however, it's always been this way.

·
Old timer
6,171 Posts
For the hell of it....

Look back say.... ten or fifteen years ago for all the performance shops that were on this forum. Then do a quick search to see who is left. Tell you anything?

Remember Wynn's Speed and their ten page ads in magazines? Todd "was" a multi-millionaire at the time. Not so much today!

I was talking about the fate of the industry with one of my camshaft dealers who builds some serious street and track Ford engines and he's no old timer like Mark and me. He said there are days when shutting down and taking on a simple 9 to 5 job is so tempting. Mind you, he has a $3M+ per year business so it's not some part time kid renting a garage making these comments. It's just not worth the toll it takes on your life anymore he said.

The industry is in deep trouble if the fooqing morons in DC keep pushing this bovine feces green deal plan. You non-political types who piss and whine when it's brought up, haven't a damned clue how much the Feds actually effect your hobby. Ignore the DC agenda at your own peril.

Thank God I have my guns to keep me busy.... until they come after them too...

·
Registered
4,712 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
when it's brought up, haven't a damned clue how much the Feds actually effect your hobby. Ignore the DC agenda at your own peril.
I think you are misrepresenting the opposing side and underestimating their knowledge.

Feds are good when they support MY likes, feds are bad when they don’t support MY likes. That is usually the political take from angov folks.

And good job old guys, you have made another thread political. Hahaha

go start a thread in the politics section so you all can get your blood pressure going and wave your walkers around.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
It has been a long time since anyone in the Fed supported the Constitution of the United States. That is "MY" likes. Given that standard the Fed is BAD and has been for quite some time.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
The industry is in deep trouble if the fooqing morons in DC keep pushing this bovine feces green deal plan. You non-political types who piss and whine when it's brought up, haven't a damned clue how much the Feds actually effect your hobby. Ignore the DC agenda at your own peril.

Thank God I have my guns to keep me busy.... until they come after them too...
Don't lose hope... We need to educate our representatives so they understand what our industry is about and that it's small enough that it won't impact the imbecilic green [email protected]#$. Hopefully the RPM act passes along with other protective industry legislation to keep the industry and our hobby alive. I'm just starting to teach my oldest son about "hot rodding" and he absolutely loves it! It's incredible to see the love he has for the tools, learning how things work, experimenting, problem solving, etc. I think about the EV BS and the ability to build mechanical aptitude, foster creativeness, etc. would be very difficult. The green new deal is not about the environment, it's about control through fear, same with face masks during this "pandemic." I do everything in my power to make my congressmen aware of my position and requests relative to our hobby and the supporting industry and I constantly spread the word to others... I find that many of them just aren't educated on it and it's our job to help with that.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Here we go with bizarre biases and conspiracy hogwash again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here we go with bizarre biases and conspiracy hogwash again. :rolleyes:
How is it a conspiracy theory? I am probably the youngest guy in this thread, and I can tell you, the car scene now is bigger and more popular than it has ever been in history.

The government is forcing change, not us, the younger generation. That's not a conspiracy theory. Just because you support the government taking away our hobbies through legislation since you support liberal policies that hurt the country does not mean it's a conspiracy theory.

21 - 40 of 148 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.