Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that all the Foxbody forums seem to be dead or dying?

I know these cars have been modded forever but I wonder if it’s just too many newer generations of Mustangs out there and the interest in the Fox is dying off?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
5.0 DOHC

Yeah I said it. The new 5.0 is so good it and the cars it comes in are so superior and (relatively) maintenance free that they have displaced all other Mustangs for interest. As a result only the "superfans" of Foxbody Mustangs remain and there just isn't anywhere near as many "superfans" to support a vibrant active forum.

Prior to 2011, the standard for affordable performance remained the Foxbody with the push rod 302. The 4.6 2V never really gained much traction with the enthusiast or the aftermarket. The 3V was a little better, but not a ton. The 4V was kinda the same boat. They were all expensive to modify and get good gains out of them. Then in late 2010 Ford dropped the automotive equivalent of an atom bomb on the Ford universe. If one fail swoop they decimated all other performance Ford engines, relegating them to bottom tier status. The other engines are still good and can be made to make real power, but off the showroom floor with 400 or more hp was the swan song for older cars. Older cars are for collectors and restorers now. All the attention and development money and interest is on the new whiz kid 5.0 DOHC.

·
The real white95!
815 Posts
TJM hit the nail on the head. In addition to this, the advent of social media further drove the relevancy of message boards/forums into the ground. You can make power with the older stuff, people do it all the time but it's almost just 'to say they did'.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
All old technology begins to go by the wayside with time and the introduction of new technology. Flatheads, SBC, American made big tube tv's. New people start coming along and embrace what is current. Old people get older and die. Nothing new here. Ha. We are simply getting old much to my chagrin.

Edit - But I love my 86. And it can hang with a lot of the new stuff on the track.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I’ll take my ProCharged pushrod v-8 any day.
All that technology is great and all, but I’m staying with foxes. Most of the younger people don’t want to be bothered with maintenance and getting their hands greasy. Not all, but most I feel. Owning a Fox is a bit of work and takes some deification to own a nice one. Young people don’t have that effort. If their iPhone can’t do it, then they’re all set. This is coming from a 34 yr old grumpy veteran I guess. Geez, I sound like my dad, oh no!!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I will say the technology and engineering in the new coyote 5.0’s are amazing. Can’t deny that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
For every one kid thats dad teaches him to change his oil you have 1,000,000 that don't because they are too busy and now they don't even teach you in school so that is 99% of the problem. Why would I spend all the money to race a car when I can just do it on a video game. Its so bad in todays world the men don't even mow their grass thats my favorite thing to do.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Its facebook, period. Its not foxes or anything else its the forum platform that is dying

But fear not! It’ll die soon with their current business decision of being narcs for the Chinese government.

Side note, your forum provided invaluable information during my diy re-build. Thank you for the videos brother.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fox Forums

I’m on several FB fox pages but it’s not the same as a forum where a topic can get really detailed. Lots of BS posts, politics all mixed in. Very few how-to discussions

Its facebook, period. Its not foxes or anything else its the forum platform that is dying

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I’m on several FB fox pages but it’s not the same as a forum where a topic can get really detailed. Lots of BS posts, politics all mixed in. Very few how-to discussions
I don't care for the FB interface. I am on very little. Mostly just joined because my wife asked me to so she could show the world who she was married to. She posts a bit and the FB "algorithm" doesn't even show her posts to me and I have her set to the #1 show me setting. What I get is every post from a brother and sister I grew up with in my home town. It's nice to see what they are up to but I don't hang out with them anymore. There are 6-8 people I am "friends" with that post once and a while that I never see posts from. But if I go look I see their posts. So it's clear to me that FB is trying to "direct" me to the content they think I should be looking at. FB can sit on it and spin. Eff farsebook.

It's full of garbage. Serves no positive purpose to society and provides no value to my life beyond an occasional photo my cousins post from when we were all kids. Things I read literally 60 seconds ago are almost unlocateable once they scroill off the page. It's just a steaming pile. A time vampire. I have better things to do with my time than give it to Facebook.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Facebook and social media is killing society. I’m a firm believer in the fact that social media is a plague. Get rid of it!!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Facebook and social media is killing society. I’m a firm believer in the fact that social media is a plague. Get rid of it!!

I was on for a few years. Gave it up about 5 months ago and figured I'd miss it. Nope. Not one bit. It IS, however, a little addictive in keeping up with everyone else's business.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Social media is definitely what is killing forums. That and youtube "how to" videos instead of lively tech discussions.

I seldom drop in anymore, but I remember I used to come to the Lounge and there would be at least 1,000 users viewing it at any one time. There are currently 9 users viewing the Lounge as I type this.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
FB and IG have killed the forums.

I made the jump, and gotta say that as much as i despise FB and it's "Look at me" mentality, some of the fox forums are pretty good. Some are also terrible full of immature, egocentric people. But often times, i've had a pretty solid tech question and have gotten help, quickly, over on FB. I've had the same question sit for days on a forum and not get answered.

I still maintain a forum presence as i like the format, and maintain a project thread on another site that acts as a sort of journal for me. Can't do that on FB.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts