Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89' coupe that I have done a 95 spindle swap on. I also have the Baer trackers (bump steer kit). The brakes started as 07" Saleen 14" 6S pieces. I ordered the right hubs for the 2 piece rotors and new caliper brakets to fit the spindles. I specified to Baer that this was going on a fox body. The issue is that the inside of the rotor seems to be rubbing on the edge of the tie rod end. Wondering how much clearence I should have. Looks like about 3/16" right now.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that the tie rod end has 3/16" clearance while you've got it on jackstands, but once you start driving it rubs the rotors?

My initial answer would've been the same as Darius'. If the situation is as I just described it, there's something else wrong - maybe bad hubs allowed a bunch of movement?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is on the ground now. I measured the gap with a feeler gauge and there is about .072. I heard the rubbing when I spun the tires while the car was off the ground and the wheels bolted on. I noticed the rotors had scrape marks and they are in line to the tie rods. It's not a deep gouge, just light surface rust that is missing compared to the rest of the rotor. I will jack it up and see if there is play in the hubs. I did get them from a junkyard to do the swap so it's possible they are bad. All I did was give them a qick spin and a glance since I got spindles, brakes and lines for $250. Yes I am talking about the Baer brakes. I didn't want the guy to change his mind so I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking things over. Just wanted to get out before he figured out he was making a HUGE mistake with the price.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Wow, that's a freakin' deal!!! :eek: Hopefully you can figure out the issue pretty easily. New hubs aren't that expensive, and might be a smart investment just due to the fact you don't know how "used" the used ones are.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics I took. Kinda fuzzy but will give you an idea of how close it is.

[/IMG]

Darius,

Nice work with the torque stripe. Did alot of that as a helicpter mech in the Marines.

Also should I be worried about the .072 gap since it is nowhere near the 3/16" I stated earlier? I looked up the linear expansion of steel and it is 12EE-6/*C, so I should be good, but I have no real experience with real world application. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Can you shim everything outward?
EX: Spacer the rotor from the hub with a shim, and spacer the caliper from the
spindle with a shim, both of the same size?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose I could. I can't think of a reson why that wouldn't work. Thanks! I am going to see what happens after I get the car running and if it rubs I will try this. Haven't had a chance to check the hubs, so that remains the possible cause but we'll see. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts