Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that my car is back up on the road again I was reminded of how horrible the side mirrors are. The passenger side in particular has such a blind spot an 18 wheeler could fit in it. I did some searching but didnt find much. Has anyone retro fitted some modern side mirrors on a fox body. I was thinking of using some S197 mirrors as a starting point and fab up a mount.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I agree they suck. I just accept that I need to do a full body turn around when I change lanes. At least I was able to upgrade the rear view mirror to a powered larger modern one which made a slight difference

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That seems to be fairly obvious to simply adjust out the mirrors. But damn I'm really used to a modern mirror that has a larger field of vision.

Embrace the 90’s dude ;)

These foxes are just not good daily drivers once you’ve had a taste of the future, the 20 year ago future that is lol. A bigger mirror would look silly imo, it’s simply is what it is although it’s better than a 70’s Japanese car with wing mirrors I guess

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Embrace the 90’s dude ;)

These foxes are just not good daily drivers once you’ve had a taste of the future, the 20 year ago future that is lol. A bigger mirror would look silly imo, it’s simply is what it is although it’s better than a 70’s Japanese car with wing mirrors I guess
Well... backup that 90s quote a bit it's a 79. So it's a 40 yo car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll pick up these S197 mirrors and trim up the mounting side and see how they look. They are cheap enough that I'll experiment. Paint them the flat black and see if I can live with the look. If it works on the cheap ones these after market mirrors have a retro look and would match the car much better. But I'll cut up the cheap ones first.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Interested to see how that looks.

The fox mirrors are tiny, but not sure I could really swap them given the mirror profile is part of its iconic look.

I searched a bit for aftermarket mirrors specific for the fox and found none. I could have sworn there was an m3 style mirror at one point in the early 2000s

·
Registered
594 Posts
Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interested to see how that looks.

The fox mirrors are tiny, but not sure I could really swap them given the mirror profile is part of its iconic look.

I searched a bit for aftermarket mirrors specific for the fox and found none. I could have sworn there was an m3 style mirror at one point in the early 2000s
I always did like how the conv mirrors looked. I don't think the S197 mirrors will look much different

·
Registered
920 Posts
I always did like how the conv mirrors looked. I don't think the S197 mirrors will look much different

I know that's how the convert mirrors are, but for some reason that looks photoshopped.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve been thinking about this lately, curious to see how it turns out, I swapped a 2017 steering wheel into my car and it makes such a substantial difference to how it feels driving the car, anything is possible with a little creativity...
Wow. That looks like it belongs there. Did you get any of the buttons functioning?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I added a stick-on fisheye mirror on the drivers side mirror on my 92. About 2 inch diameter, in the lower left corner. Gave just enough to see when there was something in that massive blindspot.

Similar to this but like $2 at wallyworld back in the day.

https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-49102-HotSpots-Stick-Convex/dp/B00029WT08
On my first long drive of the car last weekend.. that massive blind spot scared the crap out of me as I almost wiped the car out on its first outing.
It got me immediately thinking about improving the rear view.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts