Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience this? The angle on the control arm seems excessive to me...I put an angle gauge on it and it's sitting at 8.2 degrees. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have the bump steer kit just mocked up but I wont be able to go any lower (plus I understand the tie-rod should be paralel to the control arm). Ride height is set at just under 26" (fender to floor). 1987 Mustang GT... TeamZ K-Member, Team Z/Strange Coil Overs, 1" Shorter TeamZ Control Arms, Flaming River Manual Rack w/Offset bushings, SN95 Spindles (Off a 94), TeamZ Adj. Caster/Camber Plates, Maximum Motorsports Bumpsteer Kit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You have coil-overs, so that helps some of the problems. You will have some nasty camber changes though, as you're not starting from a horizontal point/arm angle mirrored. But I take it corner carving is not what the car is set-up for, correct? Think of the camber changes twin i-beam trucks have when the springs are old. Driveable, but not ideal. This would be similar.

There's a reason why MM puts the control arm mounting points further up. So unless your k-member has another set of holes to move the arms up, you only other option to fix this is different ball joints that let the arm get lower (I think this is what the Steeda X2 ball joints do) or to raise the car.

For bumpsteer, parallel to the arm gets you in the ballpark. You'll have to run the suspension through its travel to see if you need more/less spacers. I wonder if in your situation, 96+ spindles would be better. That's a lot of shims on the tie-rods.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
154 Posts
Yeahhhh I'd be sending a few pics of that to the folks over at Team Z. They are really helpful and seeing as how almost all of your front suspension is from them, I'd see if they may be able to give a lil advice on this...

·
Registered
296 Posts
That car must sit super low. It almost looks like the rack is a couple inches off the bottom of the tire. With that said, Im guessing this car is not a autocross or road race car. If its a drag car you would be ok but that angle is pretty excessive. Its also not so much the tie rod end as it is the lower control arm angle that will cause handling issues. As it moves up through its articulation its going to cause ball joint issues as well and might even bind at a point. Im definitely no professional but from talking to companies about my cars that I beat on pretty hard, theyve always told me to have the control arm parallel to the ground

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car isn't super low... right now I have it sitting at just under 26" fender to floor. This is primarily a strip car that sees the odd street time. Talked to TeamZ today and they said the control arm angle is fine... nothing to worry about. To me it seems a bit much... I got a second opinion from Racecraft and they said it should be corrected... only way to do so would be to go with a 2" drop spindle and a 14-175 spring (instead of the 12-175) that I currently have.
Any further opinions or experience?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My A-arms are the same way on my car. I too am using a team z k member. Its been like that for years without a problem. I been thinking of swapping K members to one that moves the A-arm mounts up to help off set the lower ride height of the car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The car isn't super low... right now I have it sitting at just under 26" fender to floor. This is primarily a strip car that sees the odd street time. Talked to TeamZ today and they said the control arm angle is fine... nothing to worry about. To me it seems a bit much... I got a second opinion from Racecraft and they said it should be corrected... only way to do so would be to go with a 2" drop spindle and a 14-175 spring (instead of the 12-175) that I currently have.
Any further opinions or experience?
Well as I said it would be fine for a strip only car because there isnt going to be turning at speed or bumps on the track to make the suspension articulate much. But is it ideal, absolutely not. I would go drop spindle if it were my car, but Im very OCD about stuff like that and I like my car to handle like its on rails. My current setup can go around an exit ramp at 60mph like childs play and not even pushing it. But my suspension is setup for that as well. I drive predominately on the street But cant stand terrible handling cars, just not fun to drive to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts