Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have my coyote swapped fox finished within the month. The car has full MM suspension with 03-04 cobra brakes. On my 250hp pushrod set up, I would notice brake fade after pushing the car for 10-15 minutes. Mostly this car will be a street car, occasional drag strip and occasional HPD. I have a set of true forge 18x8.5" fronts coming in with a big brake cut out and a 18x10's coming for the rear... What would classify as too much brake on a fox? The car is going to make over 500rwhp N/A on pump gas. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
What kind of pads were you using?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, when I did the coyote swap I went with a hydroboost set up from Hydratech. Random note, the spindles are off a 98 cobra and it has stock fox length axles.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
If you run street pads in a track setting, you need to expect them not to work. As for "what's too much brake?" There is no such thing except what won't fit under the wheels. But there is a cost/benefit thing going on, and almost 100% of the time, once you've gone to at least the Cobra setup, nothing more than real track pads and some ducting wins it hands down. You can go 4-pot brembo calipers for a big improvement, you can get larger rotors all around for a big improvement, you can go two-piece rotors for a big improvement, and you're going to drop big dollars on every piece of it. If you do all that without first trying real pads with good fluid and some ducting, well....it's your money.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
If you decide to go BBK (e.g., Brembo, Wilwood, StopTech, etc.), wait until your wheels arrive and then get the brake fit template from your selected brake vender to mmake certain they clear. I put StopTech ST 40s (4-piston) with 14" rotors on my 86. I have CCW 18x11s on all four. The StopTechs cleared easily but I'm not sure about a 6-piston or 15" rotor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you run street pads in a track setting, you need to expect them not to work. As for "what's too much brake?" There is no such thing except what won't fit under the wheels. But there is a cost/benefit thing going on, and almost 100% of the time, once you've gone to at least the Cobra setup, nothing more than real track pads and some ducting wins it hands down. You can go 4-pot brembo calipers for a big improvement, you can get larger rotors all around for a big improvement, you can go two-piece rotors for a big improvement, and you're going to drop big dollars on every piece of it. If you do all that without first trying real pads with good fluid and some ducting, well....it's your money.
This!
I road raced a SN95 with the cobra brakes and cooling ducts for several years without issue (and won a regional championship with them). I eventually went with stoptech ST40's and found I couldn't stop any better, just had pads that would last longer under race conditions. Brakes are a system of calipers, pads, and rotors. They are only going to work as well as the weakest component and HPS pads (and probably fluid) were the weak link.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Motul 600 is DOT4 with the highest wet boiling point for the money and has never let me down. Raybestos ST47 pads work great and seem to last forever, without destroying rotors. I was a longtime Carbotech fan and they have nothing on the ST47's, which are also cheaper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Motul 600 is DOT4 with the highest wet boiling point for the money and has never let me down. Raybestos ST47 pads work great and seem to last forever, without destroying rotors. I was a longtime Carbotech fan and they have nothing on the ST47's, which are also cheaper.
Exactly-Motul is decently priced and is readily available at most motorcycle shops if you need to buy it locally. Love the Raybestos...great pad. Too bad Randall Race raised their prices:crying: I'm currently using a little known company out of Ohio, KFP Magnum, which seem to be pretty good pads too (I'm using the golds).

You'll probably get varying opinions on pads - everyone has their favorite. Try different ones to see what you like best.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Im happy i read this post, im using 0304 cobra up front and 95 stuff in the rear, the way i always looked at it was this:

an 03/04 cobra is 3600-3800lbs and thats what those brakes were designed for (or we hope) my fox is sub 2900lbs and hopefully she will get around 2750 lbs so my fox being 1000lbs lighter than a cobra, the brakes must laugh at what i throw at them.

Right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I OT'd my full weight 97 Cobra with the stock Cobra/PBR calipers. Once I added ducting, Motul and Raybestos w/upgrade brake lines, I never had a problem with them whatsoever.

On my CMC car, which is obviously quite a bit lighter, I'm running the Cobra R Brembos and what I've noticed is more even pad wear over the PBRs (both inner to outer pad widths and tapering) . There's a couple Fox body CMC cars in my region still running the PBRs and I've not heard any complaints.

Given the weight of your fox (which is lighter than the minimum weight for a fox-body CMC car), good ducting, pads and fluid, I would think they would be fine...they are pretty decent sized pistons...just expect to wear the piston-side pads out before the other.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I agree somewhat that the weight plays a big role. But I recall Jack Hidley saying something like comparing brake performance between the sn cars and the Fox chassis is at best difficult even with the same braking systems. I believe he added that the later new edge cars have revised anti-dive than the earlier cars and more aggressive ABS.

In any event, while I haven't done a lot of HPDE/PDX events, those that I have done with the 86 (full weight) didn't tax my 93 Cobra R clone brakes. This with Hawk HPS pads, Motul fluid, SS braided and no air cooling (but no splash guard either).

·
Registered
564 Posts
ST47 pads are truly amazing. We run them on our ChumpCar 3rd gen F-body and love them. I have 43's on the front of my BMW and they're fine, but they don't have the initial bite and torque of the 47's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, I appreciate the advice you all offered. I'll let you know once I get the car to the track. Honestly, it probably won't happen until the heat of the summer. With work, remodeling the house and planning a wedding time really is hard to find!

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
They're a bit dusty on the street and it's fairly expensive dust, but they're reasonably quiet and they won't eat rotors when cold like Hawk HP+ will. So it's do-able but kind of a PITA if you don't want to keep cleaning the wheels.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm still running the ST43s on the street - they squeal a bit but surprisingly they, as MFE mentioned, seem to be less harsh that the Hawk pads. Not the greatest when cold either, but doable.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts