Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier this year I made this post regarding a hatchback I found for sale through a buddy. I haven't had but one other foxbody, a blue 1981 200i6 coupe I had in college.

I e-mailed the owner; he sent me a few really low-res photos. I called him and asked if a buddy could stop by and look at the car for me. That buddy test-drove the car, Facetime'd me with details while hanging out in a parking lot and then sent me a LOT more photos. I made the decision to buy the car. The owner didn't ask for a down payment or anything, just took me at my word and said see you soon.

I flew one-way from STL to Virginia for 88 bucks and stayed with my buddy. The next morning we went to look at the car. The tires were absolute garbage. My buddy, the seller, and I all have VERY different opinions of "a little bit of dry rot". The car was also just flat in color; it clearly hadn't been waxed in a hot minute. The paint shows what looks like hard water spots on the roof and hatch that ate into the clear coat and etched it. These cars aren't known for amazing clear coat, so I accepted that issue as moot. I tried to wheel and deal for less money due to the tires, but ultimately could not get the owner to budge. I was standing there with no ticket home and cash in my pocket and I decided if nothing else it would be a fun road trip. I signed some papers and made it mine.

The previous owner had the car since 1996. He bought it from the original owner, a Maryland State Trooper who had “come into some money” when it was a few years old. These two put just 51,771 miles on the car in 20 years. In fact, he only clocked 100 miles on it in 2015. The car has shortys, a full stainless exhaust, aluminum drive-shaft, CAI, upgraded fuel pump, FRPP lowering springs, a King Cobra clutch and 3.55 gears. All of these mods were supposed to support a Vortech S-trim, but the PO’s son’s moved out of the house, his Foxbody buddy moved away, and he had a falling out with the shop he was working with.

Longer story short: I drove the car home 900 miles and it was great! Cruising through Appalachia with 3.55's and a T-5 was a blast. My favorite part of the run was tearing up the k-rail barrier lined exit lanes of the toll booths; the exhaust sounds great. The tires were extremely sketchy and I noticed a sidewall split somewhere in West Virginia. I made it through to Somerset, KY and stayed in town for a Somernites Cruise. When I got the car home I picked up some tires, found an airbag module at the junkyard, and changed all the fluids. Tom Risk, who runs Shine Time detailing in St. Louis, worked his magic on the car and got it looking pretty good. Nothing short of a paint job is going to fix the clear coat, but it looks pretty nice now. There is one pencil-eraser sized spot of surface rust under the top right corner of the hatch and that is the only rust on the car. The oil pan doesn’t even have surface rust or rock chips.

I plan to just drive the car until my Maverick is done. I may complete the PO’s plan to put a Vortech on the car, just to make a fun cruiser out of it. Thanks for reading this far if you made it, pictures to follow:

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
That's a nice car! I really like the color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts