Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I found what I'm pretty sure is one of the boat-anchor early '80s 255 V8s. The pistons are alot smaller than a 302's. The block is an '80 and the rods are '81.

Anyway, I'm doing up my new engine and was wondering what hardware is interchangeable with a late model 5.0. I mean like nuts and bolts, nothing major. In particular the cam thrust plate bolts and cam bolt itself, crank damper bolt, oil pump and pan bolts, and flywheel bolts. Can I use any of it?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The crank is a 28 oz balance,but has hollowed out rod journals to lighten it up.Some 'stock' class racer use this part for lees rotating weight.

The hardware is the same between the two.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yes, you can use the lightweight crank, but Ed Curtis warned me not to use that crank on a street motor for anything over 5500RPMs unless you are willing to be pulling the motor and checking the main bearings quite often. He said something about the way the crank is made, at high RPMs, beats up the main bearings pretty quickly on the street, in a race motor its not really a big deal, and the weight loss is worth it. Now that NMRA has legalized aftermarket cranks in Factory Stock, your statement is very true. Throw it back in the lake....

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Ed knows,he's used'em.Man knows his stuff!!

Yes, you can use the lightweight crank, but Ed Curtis warned me not to use that crank on a street motor for anything over 5500RPMs unless you are willing to be pulling the motor and checking the main bearings quite often.
How many street cars see 5500 rpms on a regular basis?

Plus,if your worried about wear,keep your car stock.OR just cut the oil filter open at oil changes and inspect.Keep an eye on the oilpressure.302s are way cheap to build,junkyard 87-92 5.0 HO,hone it out,rebalance it with the 255 crank You also need to machine the the oil slinger from the rear of the 255 crank to make this work in a late model block and file some rings in there.Now you got a graet shortblock.Keep the revs down below the stock 6250 EEC limiter and you'll be fine.I am going to build one like this after my 347 is done.I just can't find a real 255 crank,I'll even take a .020 under one!

I know of a local circle track racer (lives across the street from my parents) who uses these in his Enduro car engines.They need to use all Ford #d engine parts,.450 lift cam, and stock type pistons.He uses 4.88s in the rear and a C4 for the trans.

Most of the time there is over 100 cars on an oval as short as a 1/4 mi or close to 200 on the 1/2 mi track.The engine sees some revs over the course of the 3-4 hour 150 lap race,7000+ rpm,overheated coolant and cooked oil are normal in this class.He runs the engine all season (10 races)and has yet to see a crank related failure.Its the stock type 93-95 HO pistons that go away before the crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts