Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car went to the dealer yesterday for a 1st gear Grind. They decided to replace the Tranny under warranty. How long should I expect them to keep the car?

The Manager told my service advisor that they would replace my transmission this 1 time only because "the car looked liked it has been raced." :confused: He noted the exhaust, suspension, and the fact that I need new tires after 10,000 miles. :D

Will I be denied service in the future at all dealers, or just this one? Thanks.

BTW - I took out my shifter and chip before dropping the car off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I freaking hate dealers like that. I took my car to the strip once and they tried to tell me I hot rod it all the time. Bastages.

Anyway, it all depends on whether or not the trans is in stock. When I wrenched for Ford during the mid 90's the T-45's were on national backorder because they sucked. Hopefully they don't have that problem and you'll get it quick.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'd be a little wary about your service advisor.....besides how does he know how you drive your car? If you own up to it, then fine, but if he's assuming stuff he doesn't know about, I'd definately fight him about that....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine t-45 took 3-4 days. Don't be guarenteed that it is a new transmission. I think they are more than likely rebuilts at this point. I was told I was getting a new one, but I could see silver paint on the trans a month or so later. Does not seem to me a new trans would need paint.

As for the other item, not sure if a dealer can enter that type of info on you for any other to abide by.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
It is the service managers decision whether or not to provide the warranty in an "abused" situation. I got a similar run-around when a local dealer here replaced the T-45 in my '97 under warranty ( barely, hee hee :D ) It was originally diagnosed as a bad 4th gear synchro, causing a grind on the 3-4 shift when cold. When they tore it apart to check it out, they found damaged teeth and threw a little fit. Oh well, I won, got a new trans. They also said I needed a new clutch ( at 26K??? ) but wouldn't warranty it. Ford CSR told me it was "the dealers descretion and chose not to warranty the clutch." They wouldn't do anything about it no matter how much I b*tched! It wasn't THAT bad, but I replaced it anyway.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON AN AFTERMARKET CLUTCH, NOW IS THE TIME !!! I went with a Centerforce D/F to replace the OEM clutch, and warranty covered all of the labor for removal/ install except for 1/2 an hour. Cost me a whopping 28 bucks to have my clutch installed, and a 6 pack of beer to a friend to turn my flywheel. I made 'em wait 2 days for my clutch AFTER they had my trans out... Got them back a little in my own way. Dealerships SUCK!

Now that its out of warranty it will NEVER see a Ford dealer for service again....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts