Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a wrecked GT500 over the winter. Fixed it up and went on my first drive here a bit ago. The clutch slips like crazy. I figured I just bought a car with a bad clutch till I talked to the previous owner who said the clutch worked perfect when he wrecked it. Only thing I can think of is that a brake line was broke and the resevoir was dry. Pedal doesn't feel too bad but am I missing something that could cause it to slip? There was no damage anywhere near the clutch area. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
778 Posts
yeah it could be the slave cylinder not allowing the pressure plate to release all the way, did you bleed it several times to get all the air out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't bleed it at all yet, justa assumed the clutch was shot till I talked to the previous owner last night. Looks like you have to bleed it with vacumn? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update, I took the line off between clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder to deliberately allow air into the systme. Pumped the clutch up just enough so I could get it in gear, then took it for a ride. Clutch still slips so I would think that would rule out the master cylinder not allowing all the pressure to return. Must be the clutch itself or slave cylinder, either one would require dissassembly. Any other ideas appreciated, not looking forward to removing the clutch. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I toasted my 07 stock clutch bone stock with ~ 37k miles and 2 trips to the drag strip with slipping nittos. Ford would not honor the TSB due to miles but flywheel was visably warped. It worked fine until the day it quit pulling. i did not notice any signs of slip until it was extreme. Replaced with a ram twin disc and adjustable throwout. I used the steel spacers and the noise it makes with the clutch pressed in bothers me, like when I go through drive through window, etc. It definitely has the twin disc rattle. I should have used the "street" composite spacers that came with the kit to help the rattle. But now I am about 630rwhp and I know this clutch will not fail me, despite the rattle. Pulling the tranny is not fun on this car, so I don't want to do it unless a 4r70w is going back in.

Caleb

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I toasted my 07 stock clutch bone stock with ~ 37k miles and 2 trips to the drag strip with slipping nittos. Ford would not honor the TSB due to miles but flywheel was visably warped. It worked fine until the day it quit pulling. i did not notice any signs of slip until it was extreme. Replaced with a ram twin disc and adjustable throwout. I used the steel spacers and the noise it makes with the clutch pressed in bothers me, like when I go through drive through window, etc. It definitely has the twin disc rattle. I should have used the "street" composite spacers that came with the kit to help the rattle. But now I am about 630rwhp and I know this clutch will not fail me, despite the rattle. Pulling the tranny is not fun on this car, so I don't want to do it unless a 4r70w is going back in.

Caleb
Did they by any chance say what the "cutoff" mileage is to honor the TSB? They should have honored yours - did you push hard and take it up to district rep or beyond?

·
Registered
394 Posts
TSB's are just that...service bulletins to help techs diagnosis common problems with a particular vehicle or vehicles....

if your vehicle still falls under warranty the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper or if you also have the extended service plans....it will be covered through ford...

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Did they by any chance say what the "cutoff" mileage is to honor the TSB? They should have honored yours - did you push hard and take it up to district rep or beyond?
Usually, it's 12000 miles, 12 months, but I'd check with the dealer directly. :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
if the gt 500 has a salvage title or a branded title there will be no coverage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts