Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my dash apart and my fog light switch came apart. The tabs that hold the pins in the plug broke so I bought a repair harness.

1st problem: The wires in the dash are solid orange and light blue w/ black line. I believe the light blue w/ black line wire is the ground and the orange is power. But I am not positive. Can anyone confirm?

2nd problem: Since I don't know which wire came out of which hole in the plug I am not sure how to repair with the wire pigtail. Both wires are white on the pigtail. The switch shows a "B" and "L" where the plug goes, but I don't know what they stand for.

IMG_20200430_124723.jpg IMG_20200430_124848.jpg IMG_20200430_125806.jpg

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it possible that the fog light switch is just a hot in and closing the switch simply allows the hot to continue to the fog lights to power them? Making the wiring a non issue? I found this and it kinda looks like that might be the case. Which would explain the two white wires on the pigtail. How it's wired is not much of an issue as the switch just completes the circuit and lets power pass through.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
hot all the time power path is

main light switch>>>>multi function switch>>>fuse>>>foglight switch>>>fog lights

there are no ground in there, grounds are found at or near the lights

pin out

B= LB/BK
L=T/O

G=BK
R=BR
H=R/Y
B1=BK/O
B2=T/W
I=LB/R

also I would just use the new connector, by re pinning it, i would NOT cut and splice

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hot all the time power path is

main light switch>>>>multi function switch>>>fuse>>>foglight switch>>>fog lights

there are no ground in there, grounds are found at or near the lights

pin out

B= LB/BK
L=T/O

G=BK
R=BR
H=R/Y
B1=BK/O
B2=T/W
I=LB/R

also I would just use the new connector, by re pinning it, i would NOT cut and splice
Re-pin? Really? I was going to solder and shrink wrap. I'll have to look at it again. I think the tabs on the factory wire ends were broke. I'll make sure to look more closely. I'll have to take my reading glasses with me. My up close ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
the pins, stake on looking, have holes, the connector has tabs that lock in the pins

you need a pin removal tool or small pick to release the pins

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohhhhh.....

I thought the pins had small tabs that held them in the connector. But it's the connector that has the retaining function. That changes things a lot.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pins, stake on looking, have holes, the connector has tabs that lock in the pins

you need a pin removal tool or small pick to release the pins
Wanted to give you a "shout out" for telling me to repin the new plug onto the factory wires. Many days ago I did what you suggested and man it was sooooo easy. Way easier and cleaner than splicing into the old harness. I just made sure to label the wires and the plug so they went back into the correct location. Worked like a charm. Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my pleasure
Many, many, many (too many) years ago I recall reading about tapping into the wiring of the headlights/fog lights and putting in a relay to run the lights. As I recall the switch would turn on/off the relay which then did the heavy work of supplying the lights with power. Would this save the plugs I just replaced which I know are prone to getting hot and melting or cracking like mine did?

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
oh, i thought you have done that already

the MFS is prone to melting first, internally, then you lose head lights

for sure, put the fogs on a relay.........like now

my HIDs are on relays already as well as the fogs

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I was just fixing some stuff and then remembered the relay mod from back in the day. I'll have to take a trip back in time to figure out what needs to be done.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
take your headlight feed near the battery, cut it

run power from the battery to the contacts, then use the old power feed from cabin to the coil, pretty simple

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just drew this up after doing a little research. But I think it needs tweaking as I wasn't thinking about it controlling the headlights and fog lights.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I just drew this up after doing a little research. But I think it needs tweaking as I wasn't thinking about it controlling the headlights and fog lights.

View attachment 1060393
taking any high current device from the switches inside the dash is a good idea

I made a harness for my headlights, as they are HID bixenon, at it required me to do that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts